Aug 18, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Brad Hawpe has cleared waivers, which was inevitable given that the Rockies outfielder is still owed about $2.2 million for the rest of this season and will have to be bought out of his contract for $500,000 next year.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has written repeatedly this week that he expects Hawpe to be moved, so presumably the Rockies are willing to eat quite a bit of that money to get a deal done.
And if not, Renck speculated this afternoon that they may simply decide to release him.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)