Aug 18, 2010, 4:18 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Brad Hawpe has cleared waivers, which was inevitable given that the Rockies outfielder is still owed about $2.2 million for the rest of this season and will have to be bought out of his contract for $500,000 next year.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has written repeatedly this week that he expects Hawpe to be moved, so presumably the Rockies are willing to eat quite a bit of that money to get a deal done.
And if not, Renck speculated this afternoon that they may simply decide to release him.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 62
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 39
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)