Aug 18, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Brad Hawpe has cleared waivers, which was inevitable given that the Rockies outfielder is still owed about $2.2 million for the rest of this season and will have to be bought out of his contract for $500,000 next year.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has written repeatedly this week that he expects Hawpe to be moved, so presumably the Rockies are willing to eat quite a bit of that money to get a deal done.
And if not, Renck speculated this afternoon that they may simply decide to release him.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)