Aug 18, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Brad Hawpe has cleared waivers, which was inevitable given that the Rockies outfielder is still owed about $2.2 million for the rest of this season and will have to be bought out of his contract for $500,000 next year.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has written repeatedly this week that he expects Hawpe to be moved, so presumably the Rockies are willing to eat quite a bit of that money to get a deal done.
And if not, Renck speculated this afternoon that they may simply decide to release him.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)