Aug 18, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Brad Hawpe has cleared waivers, which was inevitable given that the Rockies outfielder is still owed about $2.2 million for the rest of this season and will have to be bought out of his contract for $500,000 next year.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has written repeatedly this week that he expects Hawpe to be moved, so presumably the Rockies are willing to eat quite a bit of that money to get a deal done.
And if not, Renck speculated this afternoon that they may simply decide to release him.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 16
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)