Aug 18, 2010, 7:01 PM EST
Mostly as a result of Wednesday’s trade for Derrek Lee, the Braves have decided to place suddenly-jobless corner infielder Troy Glaus on the 15-day disabled list. The news comes from David O’Brien with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Glaus has been dealing with a sore knee, but probably wouldn’t have been placed on the disabled list without the Lee trade. He will take a full week off, then head to Triple-A Gwinnett to begin seeing time at third base and first base. The Braves will probably bring him back once rosters expand in September and use him as a backup corner infielder and late-innings pinch-hitter down the stretch.
Glaus, 34, posted a nice .254/.361/.441 batting line and 14 home runs in 295 at-bats before the All-Star break but is currently batting just .249/.343/.406. The Braves were wise to make an upgrade via waivers.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)