Aug 18, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
Mostly as a result of Wednesday’s trade for Derrek Lee, the Braves have decided to place suddenly-jobless corner infielder Troy Glaus on the 15-day disabled list. The news comes from David O’Brien with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Glaus has been dealing with a sore knee, but probably wouldn’t have been placed on the disabled list without the Lee trade. He will take a full week off, then head to Triple-A Gwinnett to begin seeing time at third base and first base. The Braves will probably bring him back once rosters expand in September and use him as a backup corner infielder and late-innings pinch-hitter down the stretch.
Glaus, 34, posted a nice .254/.361/.441 batting line and 14 home runs in 295 at-bats before the All-Star break but is currently batting just .249/.343/.406. The Braves were wise to make an upgrade via waivers.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)