Aug 18, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
Mostly as a result of Wednesday’s trade for Derrek Lee, the Braves have decided to place suddenly-jobless corner infielder Troy Glaus on the 15-day disabled list. The news comes from David O’Brien with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Glaus has been dealing with a sore knee, but probably wouldn’t have been placed on the disabled list without the Lee trade. He will take a full week off, then head to Triple-A Gwinnett to begin seeing time at third base and first base. The Braves will probably bring him back once rosters expand in September and use him as a backup corner infielder and late-innings pinch-hitter down the stretch.
Glaus, 34, posted a nice .254/.361/.441 batting line and 14 home runs in 295 at-bats before the All-Star break but is currently batting just .249/.343/.406. The Braves were wise to make an upgrade via waivers.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)