Aug 18, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
Mostly as a result of Wednesday’s trade for Derrek Lee, the Braves have decided to place suddenly-jobless corner infielder Troy Glaus on the 15-day disabled list. The news comes from David O’Brien with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Glaus has been dealing with a sore knee, but probably wouldn’t have been placed on the disabled list without the Lee trade. He will take a full week off, then head to Triple-A Gwinnett to begin seeing time at third base and first base. The Braves will probably bring him back once rosters expand in September and use him as a backup corner infielder and late-innings pinch-hitter down the stretch.
Glaus, 34, posted a nice .254/.361/.441 batting line and 14 home runs in 295 at-bats before the All-Star break but is currently batting just .249/.343/.406. The Braves were wise to make an upgrade via waivers.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel