Aug 18, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
Mostly as a result of Wednesday’s trade for Derrek Lee, the Braves have decided to place suddenly-jobless corner infielder Troy Glaus on the 15-day disabled list. The news comes from David O’Brien with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Glaus has been dealing with a sore knee, but probably wouldn’t have been placed on the disabled list without the Lee trade. He will take a full week off, then head to Triple-A Gwinnett to begin seeing time at third base and first base. The Braves will probably bring him back once rosters expand in September and use him as a backup corner infielder and late-innings pinch-hitter down the stretch.
Glaus, 34, posted a nice .254/.361/.441 batting line and 14 home runs in 295 at-bats before the All-Star break but is currently batting just .249/.343/.406. The Braves were wise to make an upgrade via waivers.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11