Aug 18, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported earlier this week that Craig Counsell has cleared waivers and the veteran infielder said yesterday that he’d be open to a trade to a contender.
Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin sought approval from Jim Edmonds before trading him to Cincinnati and Counsell indicated that Melvin discussed a similar possibility with him.
You always know it’s possible. We’ve talked about it. We talked about it last year. We’ve talked about it this year. We try to keep things upfront. I appreciate it a lot, for sure. I know I’ll hear stuff that’s important from Doug first. He said people have called but that’s it.
As a soon-to-be 40-year-old hitting just .246/.317/.305 in 83 games this season Counsell won’t be at the top of any contender’s wish list for a stretch-drive pickup, but he’s still capable of drawing some walks, getting on base, and providing some defensive versatility in a part-time role.
Counsell told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he’s leaning toward returning for a 16th season in 2011, but added that the idea of going to a contender is “intriguing” because “as you get older you want to win” and “you don’t know how many years you’ve got left.”
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)