Aug 18, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT
White Sox bullpen coach Juan Nieves caused a bit of a stir by saying that Chicago pitchers should consider throwing at Minnesota hitters to “see if you can start a fight” during the three-game series at Target Field that began last night.
Yet in Game 1 of the crucial series it was Delmon Young of the Twins who provided a potential opportunity for brawling by attempting to run over White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski on a not-so-close play at the plate in the eighth inning.
Young took off for home on a ground ball and was thrown out by a solid 10 feet, but instead of sliding or going for a standard body-to-body collision he went high on Pierzynski without ever really making a move toward the actual plate.
Neither player has a reputation for being particularly easy to deal with, yet amazingly they retreated to their respective corners without further incident and neither bench emptied. However, it’s a pretty safe bet that Young will (coincidentally, I’m sure) be hit by a pitch in Game 2 tonight, which technically gives the Twins a head start in the Win Probability department since we can safely assume he’ll be on base at least once.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)