Gregg Doyel won't let facts get in the way of a good rant

Aug 18, 2010, 9:43 AM EDT

CBS Sports.com’s Gregg Doyel has never been one for subtlety, but in his latest column — in which he rips the MLBPA for having the audacity to defend one of its members — he shows his contempt for facts, reason and perspective as well:

The MLB players union has gone too far. Finally,
inarguably, the union has gone too far, and this money-seeking,
drug-allowing, behavior-excusing juggernaut must be stopped.

And it must be stopped by the New York Mets.

…Only, the rumors out of New York are that the players union would
fight the Mets should the team try to void K-Rod’s contract. To which I
say: Fight the union, Mets. Major advances in labor strife often revolve
around one person. Baseball has Curt Flood, the father of free agency.
He’s a hero to players.

K-Rod could be an antihero to the rest of us, those of us who are
tired of paying up to $500 for tickets, parking and concessions at a
single baseball game because the team’s payroll is $94 million and the
cleanup hitter earns $18 million and the fourth outfielder makes $6
million and all of those chumps look like they’ve used steroids, and
some of them no doubt have, and the union has been the hammer the
players have swung to make all of that happen.

Enough is enough.

The union must go down. Not all unions, just this one. This union,
this MLB players union that has run amok for too long, must go down.
Who’s K-Rod? He’s nobody, really. Just the captain of the ship.

I realize people don’t much care for unions, but Doyel’s screed is totally out to lunch. He blames the union for the Mets’ initial agreement to limit K-Rod’s suspension for two games, as if the team had no choice in the matter as to how to proceed with him.  He says that due process is a concept that “while it has its place” doesn’t apply to K-Rod because, well, I don’t know why.  He repeats the flat wrong canard that player salaries are to blame for high ticket prices.  He’s just eighteen shades of wrong here separate and apart from his opinion, to which he’s obviously entitled.

I love me some rabble rousing, but this is dumb “players are too rich and the union is evil!” rabble rousing.  I understand that such appeals draw in eyeballs and get a lot of “you go girls!” from the masses, but I’d like to believe that at some point all clicks aren’t created equal and ignorant, emotional appeals such as Doyel’s won’t continue to be rewarded.

But maybe like Doyel, my desire to believe something won’t make it actually come to pass.

1. Scott - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

You mean, it’s not true that if the owners paid less to players, they would stop pricing tickets and concessions to maximize revenue? That makes no sense. If I spent less money on booze I would certainly volunteer for pay cut at work!

2. JimmyY - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Uh, maybe he should blame the idiot GM’s and/or team president’s, owners, that agree to go out and sign these guys for outrageous contracts. And, oh by the way, the Padres record is what, on a payroll now around $40 million? Proves there IS a better way to do things instead of just throwing money at players and see what sticks.

3. Joe - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Maybe someone should point Doyel to the Dodgers, for the details on what happens to the money when it doesn’t go to the greedy players.

4. Gobias Industries - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM

“…those of us who are tired of paying up to $500 for tickets, parking and concessions at a single baseball game…” $500?! I realize a day at the ballpark ain’t cheap, but how the hell is this dude paying $500 for a TYPICAL single baseball game?

5. Marty Winn - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM

The MLB Players Union is one of the very few that I generally support. It always amazes me that these anti-wealth people rip on the millionaires to help out the billionaires. I think that not understanding that ticket prices are unaffected by player salaries plays a big part in this.

6. Steve A - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM

When I saw that “MrMcLargeHuge” had agreed with two columns in a row by Doyel, I was curious as to what the other column was. He has written a lot in the last week, so I can’t be sure which one Mr. Huge meant. Also, the topics were across all sports. The one I was hoping he meant was Doyel’s hugely xenophobic rant on the US Soccer Team coaching position from last week, which was a gem in its own right.
    Alas, I found another column he wrote about Darrelle Revis. Yes, I know this is a baseball blog, however, the viewpoint Doyel takes in that is curious given this Mets column. For those unfamiliar, Revis is holding out for the Jets for more money even though he has a contract for this year. However, it’s not a guaranteed contract, thus, Mr. Revis, who is widely considered one of the top two cornerbacks, wants to get paid like it before he injures himself and gets cut with no more money. Well, Doyel sides with Revis on this issue.
    So we have Doyel arguing for a team to break a contract in one sport and for a player to break a contract in another sport. What’s the point of contracts, then? I love it.

7. doctorfunke - Aug 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM

How’s the coffee business?

8. Old Gator - Aug 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM

When the revolution comes, Doyel is dogmeat. You have a date with the courtyard wall, capitalist peeg.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3493)