Aug 18, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
If only we had more time to get a statistically significant amount of data to test if the Cubs’ new north side ballpark is truly the source of their failures!
“I believe there hasn’t been a whole lot of people that have run that
team that truly understand the ballpark,” Steve Stone says of the Cubs.
“Because the bleachers are so low in comparison to (other parks), the
wind and the wind direction has an inordinate effect on a fly ball.”
Wrigley is a Jekyll and Hyde park, he says, a hitter’s paradise in
the warm weather and when the wind blows out but a pitcher’s haven in
the chilly months and when the wind blows in. He says the Cubs
historically have loaded their lineup with slow-footed sluggers instead
of balancing it with speed and players who can scratch out runs.
I think the day games — at least since everyone else went to almost all night games — is a competitive drag for the team in that they have to deal with more heat and more quick turnarounds from road trips and stuff.
But really, the biggest factor in the Cubs’ championship drought has either been bad rosters, bad management and bad luck.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 17
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (186)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)