Aug 18, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
If only we had more time to get a statistically significant amount of data to test if the Cubs’ new north side ballpark is truly the source of their failures!
“I believe there hasn’t been a whole lot of people that have run that
team that truly understand the ballpark,” Steve Stone says of the Cubs.
“Because the bleachers are so low in comparison to (other parks), the
wind and the wind direction has an inordinate effect on a fly ball.”
Wrigley is a Jekyll and Hyde park, he says, a hitter’s paradise in
the warm weather and when the wind blows out but a pitcher’s haven in
the chilly months and when the wind blows in. He says the Cubs
historically have loaded their lineup with slow-footed sluggers instead
of balancing it with speed and players who can scratch out runs.
I think the day games — at least since everyone else went to almost all night games — is a competitive drag for the team in that they have to deal with more heat and more quick turnarounds from road trips and stuff.
But really, the biggest factor in the Cubs’ championship drought has either been bad rosters, bad management and bad luck.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)