Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
LaTroy Hawkins missed three months with shoulder soreness earlier this season and returned to appear in just five games for the Brewers before landing back on the shelf with more shoulder problems last week.
And now the 37-year-old reliever is considering season-ending and potentially career-threatening surgery.
According to Hawkins a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum found merely “wear and tear” in his shoulder and an MRI exam was inconclusive. Hawkins is expected to decide by Friday whether or not he’ll go under the knife for what would likely be classified as an “exploratory” procedure.
Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract this offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)