Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
LaTroy Hawkins missed three months with shoulder soreness earlier this season and returned to appear in just five games for the Brewers before landing back on the shelf with more shoulder problems last week.
And now the 37-year-old reliever is considering season-ending and potentially career-threatening surgery.
According to Hawkins a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum found merely “wear and tear” in his shoulder and an MRI exam was inconclusive. Hawkins is expected to decide by Friday whether or not he’ll go under the knife for what would likely be classified as an “exploratory” procedure.
Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract this offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (128)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)