Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
LaTroy Hawkins missed three months with shoulder soreness earlier this season and returned to appear in just five games for the Brewers before landing back on the shelf with more shoulder problems last week.
And now the 37-year-old reliever is considering season-ending and potentially career-threatening surgery.
According to Hawkins a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum found merely “wear and tear” in his shoulder and an MRI exam was inconclusive. Hawkins is expected to decide by Friday whether or not he’ll go under the knife for what would likely be classified as an “exploratory” procedure.
Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract this offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)