Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
LaTroy Hawkins missed three months with shoulder soreness earlier this season and returned to appear in just five games for the Brewers before landing back on the shelf with more shoulder problems last week.
And now the 37-year-old reliever is considering season-ending and potentially career-threatening surgery.
According to Hawkins a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum found merely “wear and tear” in his shoulder and an MRI exam was inconclusive. Hawkins is expected to decide by Friday whether or not he’ll go under the knife for what would likely be classified as an “exploratory” procedure.
Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract this offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)