Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
LaTroy Hawkins missed three months with shoulder soreness earlier this season and returned to appear in just five games for the Brewers before landing back on the shelf with more shoulder problems last week.
And now the 37-year-old reliever is considering season-ending and potentially career-threatening surgery.
According to Hawkins a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum found merely “wear and tear” in his shoulder and an MRI exam was inconclusive. Hawkins is expected to decide by Friday whether or not he’ll go under the knife for what would likely be classified as an “exploratory” procedure.
Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract this offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)