Aug 18, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
As expected, Mike Cameron has decided to undergo surgery on the torn abdominal muscle that has bothered him for most of the season. He’ll miss the rest of this year, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that “should be ready for spring training.”
He’ll make $7.25 million in 2011 as part of a two-year, $15.5 million deal signed this offseason. Cameron finishes Year 1 of the contract hitting .259/.328/.401 in 48 games for his lowest OPS since way back in 1998.
He’s either been on the disabled list or trying to play through an injury at less than 100 percent for basically the entire season, so clearly the Red Sox never saw the Cameron they thought they were getting, but at 37 years old it’s unclear whether that guy even exists at this point.
Cameron has been one of the most underrated all-around players in baseball for the past 15 years and I actually thought the Red Sox were smart to sign him, but there’s no way he’d get anything close to $7.25 million on the open market.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)