Aug 18, 2010, 4:46 PM EST
As expected, Mike Cameron has decided to undergo surgery on the torn abdominal muscle that has bothered him for most of the season. He’ll miss the rest of this year, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that “should be ready for spring training.”
He’ll make $7.25 million in 2011 as part of a two-year, $15.5 million deal signed this offseason. Cameron finishes Year 1 of the contract hitting .259/.328/.401 in 48 games for his lowest OPS since way back in 1998.
He’s either been on the disabled list or trying to play through an injury at less than 100 percent for basically the entire season, so clearly the Red Sox never saw the Cameron they thought they were getting, but at 37 years old it’s unclear whether that guy even exists at this point.
Cameron has been one of the most underrated all-around players in baseball for the past 15 years and I actually thought the Red Sox were smart to sign him, but there’s no way he’d get anything close to $7.25 million on the open market.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)