Quote of the Day: Ozzie Guillen's coping mechanism

Aug 18, 2010, 9:13 AM EST

Jim Thome -- the man Ozzie Guillen didn't want back -- hit a big time walkoff home run to beat the Sox last night. What did Ozzie do afterward?

“I’ll have a couple of drinks, and come back tomorrow and fight.”

Ozzie Guillen, when asked what he’ll do to recover from last night’s dramatic loss to the Twins.

Hey, drinking and fighting worked for Billy Martin.

1. Old Gator - Aug 18, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Especially when he was his own designated driver, eh? Well, at least he bought it sliding home.

2. Pisano - Aug 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM

This guy has the intellect of a three minute egg . Every time he opens his big mouth he puts his foot in it . Ozzie , try using some duct tape on your mouth , you might keep your job a little longer .

3. murd - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM

So a manager isn’t allowed to drink? Or he isn’t allowed to tell people he drinks? I don’t get it.

4. murd - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM

This should have been a reply to Pisano, not a stand alone comment.

5. Pisano - Aug 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

You’ve got my post all wrong , I said nothing about his drinking comment , I could care less what he does when he’s off the field . I’m just saying he has too big of a mouth , and everything that comes out of it seems to get him in trouble . He needs to be concerned with wins and losses .

6. murd - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM

My bad. I don’t disagree about him saying some stupid stuff. This is one of the more sane things he’s said lately (since he’s been a manager) so I felt I should stick up for him here.

7. Pisano - Aug 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM

murd , just to further my point about his mouth , I’m watching an interview with Ozzie tonight on MLB station , and sure as hell he uses the F word in describing the non signing of Jim Thome . I honestly think this guy would try to walk through a fire with gasoline soaked pants on . A genius he’s not !

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4969)
  2. M. Kemp (3496)
  3. J. Kang (2659)
  4. J. Upton (2607)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2605)
  1. C. McGehee (2582)