Aug 18, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that the Reds have offered manager Dusty Baker a contract extension.
Baker, in the final season of a three-year deal, wouldn’t say Wednesday whether it is a multi-year offer or just a one-year proposal, but he did acknowledge that he is considering it.
“We’re still evaluating it,” he said. “I’ve got to look at where we’re going, and what I want to do. I’m concentrating on winning, I’ve said that all along. Everything is cool. It will work out.”
The veteran skipper has led the Reds to an impressive 68-51 record this season and an even more impressive 2.5-game lead over the heavily-favored Cardinals in the National League Central. That success has more to do with breakout years by Joey Votto and the entire Cincinnati pitching staff, but Baker must be doing something right. And it only makes sense for him to return for at least the 2011 season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)