Report: Braves on verge of acquiring Derrek Lee from Cubs

Aug 18, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT

According to David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com the Braves are close to trading for Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee, who will reportedly agree to the move despite using his no-trade rights to turn down a proposal to join the Angels last month.
Whereas the Angels were hovering around .500 and barely clinging to contention at the time Lee rejected that trade the Braves are in first place with the NL’s second-best record at 70-47.
Lee is an impending free agent and has recently been sidelined by a back injury, so Kaplan reports that “the trade is not expected to land the Cubs much in the way of talent” in return. Instead the Braves are apparently willing to absorb most of his remaining salary.
Lee has hit just .251/.335/.416 in 109 games this season for his first sub-.800 OPS since 1999, but even that would be an upgrade over the non-existent production the Braves have gotten at first base recently from the slumping Troy Glaus and Lee has hit .315/.359/.542 with six homers and nine doubles over the past 30 games.

1. ChiSoxFanPurdue - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Maybe Glaus shifts back to thirdbase too if they get Lee. Not all the time but he can fill in over there sometimes.

2. murd - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I’ve always liked Lee. Good player, seems like a good guy. But if his injuries aren’t cleared up couldn’t he just be Glaus #2.

3. CJ - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM

He’s way to old/creaky and doesn’t have the range he used to. Glaus is their DH in the world series, and another clutch PH off the bench.
    This was a Wrold Series type move for a guy that’s historcially played very well in the playoffs when his team actually makes it. As a Phillies fan this pisses me off. The Braves needa 1B after the deadline and get Lee. The Phillies needed one and they got Mike freakin Sweeney.

4. Bravos - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Glaus has been struggling at the plate a lot in the last month plus. Glaus is also having significant knee trouble so him playing third isn’t going to happen. Between Prado, Infante and Conrad, the Braves have much better options at third base.
    Glaus has hit .174 w/ 2 HRs, 15 RBI and .265 slugging % in past 46 gms, has .285 OBP in last 45 gms, 6 Ks in last 3 gms
    Lee has hit .283 w/ 9 HRs, 30 RBIs & .492 slugging % in 47 gms since June 16, went 5-for-11 with 4 HRs in 3-gm series at St. Louis thru Sun.
    Derrek Lee hit twice as many homers (4) in #Cubs’ 3-gm series last weekend at St. Louis as #Braves’ Glaus has hit in his past 46 games (2).
    Just a few interesting points to consider.

5. matt - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM

CJ chill out. The phils are 18-5 in their last 23 with whoever played 1st base. Sweeney or Lee will not be the difference maker in this years race for the division. The phillies , with utley back, now have a .295 hitter in Carlos Ruiz batting 8th!!! And Howard isnt even back yet. Their lineup is stacked and Derrick Lee scares nobody. If the phils falter it will be because of their bullpen, not because they got sweeney and the braves got Lee.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM

How exactly is Glaus going to play DH in the World Series? Are the Phillies going to make a trade for him or something? If you think trading for Lee gets the Braves into the World Series, you are insane. And you are a fellow Phillies fan??? Jesus dude, we’ve won 2 straight pennants, haven’t had Howard or Utley forever yet have gone 19-4 in the last 23 games, and you are worried about Derrek Stinking Lee??

7. CJ - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Who knows, maybe I am off base. But I guarantee you I pay a lot more attention to the other teams in the Phils division than most of you, and yes, as a “real” Phils fan, I don’t like what I’m seeing.
    And notice I never said this is a move that guarantees them a trip to the World Series, I said they made the move with that in mind, as any playoff caliber team should. A guy hitting .260 career in the playoffs (yes, when the cubs actualyl make it), compared to what’s left of Troy Glaus is a huge improvement.

8. CJ - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM

LOL I meant nearly .360.

9. CJ - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM

oops, he’s hitting .360 career in the playoffs, not .260

10. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM

CJ, I pay alot of attention to all things baseball. And the facts is that Derrek Lee, while an improvement over Glaus, is not going to make or break the Phillies season. The only thing that can stop the Phillies from winning the NL Pennant this year is a big injury to one of the big three in the playoffs. That’s it. They have hung in there while Utley was out. They now lead the Wild Card race and are preparing to put SF and STL in their rear-view mirror before setting their sights on the division crown.

11. matt - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM

CJ, calm down big fella. First of all you have no idea of how much anyone pays attention to the other teams in the division. Second of all, Im a phillies fan and Lee doesn’t scare me one bit. Even when these aging players go to teams other than the phillies, I enjoy seeing these types of guys get a last chance at the playoffs. Especially a good guy like Derrek Lee. However, while he may get a sudden boost from joining a team in the race, I just don’t see how he will be able to sustain it over the long haul. From what I’ve seen of him this year he reminds me of the typical ex-great player who has an eigth of a tank of gas left. Yeah, he will squeeze out a homer here and there and make a snazzy Derrek Lee play at first base here and there, but his best days are behind him. Its like when Pedro joined the phils last year. He squeezed all he had left in the tank out for a few games but ultimately he couldn’t sustain it. Time waits for no man !!!

12. Gobias Industries - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Cool your jets.

13. Gobias Industries - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I said, cool your jets.

14. Gobias Industries - Aug 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM

By the way, Phillies fans are evidently the new Yankees fans. “We’re gonna go all the way this year! Not even if Typhoid fever hits the Big Three during the World Series will be be stopped! It’s our birthright! We’re #1! Mets suck!” Egad.

15. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

No dude…I have said before that if an injury hits one of the big three, they will be in some trouble. Otherwise, there’s really no reason to think they can’t get to the World Series. They did last year, with only Cliff Lee pitching well, and a rotation that included a rookie(Happ) and Blanton/Moyer/Kendrick. And they WON the World Series in 2008 with neither Lee, Halladay, or Oswalt. So I won’t be cooling my jets any time soon thank you. You can compared Phillies fans to the Borg, but the difference is that we don’t expect a World Series ring as our birthright…it’s just a nice-to-have.

16. Gobias Industries - Aug 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Save the sales pitch. I agree with you; they are the team-to-beat. I just happen to be a jealous fan of a certain NL East rival that hasn’t had a “nice-to-have” since 1986 and I felt obligated to act like a bitter tool. C’mon, you know how it works around these here parts.

17. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM

We get it. All other teams shouldn’t even try because of the Philly supremacy. I mean, I’ve probably watched more Braves games than anyone here and I just know that this is a worthless move. Every time Philly has come to town, I don’t even know why the Braves bother to suit up. Just rest your pitchers and concede a sweep.

18. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Yeah, but regardless of how great he isn’t compared to how great he was, this is an improvement on what Glaus is able to bring right now. Lee is no world beater, but he’d help.

19. CJ - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Still not sure why no one seems to understand that all I said to being with was that the Braves clearly made this move with the World Series in mind, period.
    Yes, I’m a Phillies fan, but I think you’re an idiot if you can’t understand that to be the case. That doesn’t mean the Braves won’t make it that far (or that any other team will), that’s just the way it is.

20. CJ - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM

And if you think the Phillies will soar to the division crown in a matter of days just because the names Utley and Howard re-appear in the starting lineups, you’re delusional. It’ll take time for them to get back to where they were, which, if you recall wasn’t exactly on fire. Howard was just pulling out of his funk when he went down.

21. ChiSoxFanPurdue - Aug 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I just was saying Glaus could play a few games over at third. I would prefer Infante over there with Prado at second, but it is possible that he plays over there. He is also the PH in games and a DH in the WS if they get there. The Chipper injury really hurts.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3450)