Aug 18, 2010, 10:04 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has been all over the Brad Hawpe news front since he was placed on waivers last week. And now Renck has a breaking report.
The Post columnist and beat writer heard from sources Wednesday that Hawpe is going to be released after tonight’s game against the Dodgers and made available to all interested major league teams as a free agent.
The 31-year-old Hawpe has posted an ugly .642 OPS and two home runs since the All-Star break, but part of his struggles can be equated to a lack of playing time and he should be rejuvenated in joining a playoff race. If he joins a playoff race.
Renck believes that the Rangers and Red Sox will show interest, but look for a good helping of teams to jump in on the negotiations. He’s not exactly a versatile player — and probably needs to be limited to a corner outfield or first base job — but Hawpe still has great power potential and a .280/.374/.492 career batting line.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)