Aug 18, 2010, 10:04 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has been all over the Brad Hawpe news front since he was placed on waivers last week. And now Renck has a breaking report.
The Post columnist and beat writer heard from sources Wednesday that Hawpe is going to be released after tonight’s game against the Dodgers and made available to all interested major league teams as a free agent.
The 31-year-old Hawpe has posted an ugly .642 OPS and two home runs since the All-Star break, but part of his struggles can be equated to a lack of playing time and he should be rejuvenated in joining a playoff race. If he joins a playoff race.
Renck believes that the Rangers and Red Sox will show interest, but look for a good helping of teams to jump in on the negotiations. He’s not exactly a versatile player — and probably needs to be limited to a corner outfield or first base job — but Hawpe still has great power potential and a .280/.374/.492 career batting line.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)