Aug 18, 2010, 5:36 PM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the rumored trade sending Derrek Lee to the Braves is a “done deal” and the Cubs will receive pitching prospects Robinson Lopez, Tyrelle Harris, and Jeffrey Lorick in exchange for the impending free agent first baseman.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs will “pick up some salary” as part of the deal.
Lee is 34 years old, in the midst of arguably the worst season of his career, and has been sidelined by back problems, but he’s hit .315/.359/.542 with six homers and nine doubles over the past 30 games and … well, it won’t take much to be an upgrade over Troy Glaus right now.
Last month Lee turned down a potential trade to the Angels, who were hovering around .500, but the Braves own the NL’s second-best record and obviously represent a much better chance for a deep postseason run.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)