Aug 18, 2010, 5:36 PM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the rumored trade sending Derrek Lee to the Braves is a “done deal” and the Cubs will receive pitching prospects Robinson Lopez, Tyrelle Harris, and Jeffrey Lorick in exchange for the impending free agent first baseman.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs will “pick up some salary” as part of the deal.
Lee is 34 years old, in the midst of arguably the worst season of his career, and has been sidelined by back problems, but he’s hit .315/.359/.542 with six homers and nine doubles over the past 30 games and … well, it won’t take much to be an upgrade over Troy Glaus right now.
Last month Lee turned down a potential trade to the Angels, who were hovering around .500, but the Braves own the NL’s second-best record and obviously represent a much better chance for a deep postseason run.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)