Aug 18, 2010, 5:36 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the rumored trade sending Derrek Lee to the Braves is a “done deal” and the Cubs will receive pitching prospects Robinson Lopez, Tyrelle Harris, and Jeffrey Lorick in exchange for the impending free agent first baseman.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs will “pick up some salary” as part of the deal.
Lee is 34 years old, in the midst of arguably the worst season of his career, and has been sidelined by back problems, but he’s hit .315/.359/.542 with six homers and nine doubles over the past 30 games and … well, it won’t take much to be an upgrade over Troy Glaus right now.
Last month Lee turned down a potential trade to the Angels, who were hovering around .500, but the Braves own the NL’s second-best record and obviously represent a much better chance for a deep postseason run.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)