Aug 18, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
“The Cubs threw me into the fire. They made people think I’m a monster.”
– Sammy Sosa on the Cubs in a forthcoming in-depth interview with Chicago Magazine in which he describes how he has no current relationship with the Cubs and how everything is just icky. The interview is not available online yet, but will be on newsstands tomorrow. A summary of the interview can be found here.
As for Sosa’s reputation in Chicago, I don’t know that anyone has much to be proud of. I’d like to think that the Cubs would be the bigger man about things in light of how much marketing mojo (and of course baseball production) Sosa brought to the north side over the years. At the same time, Sosa’s final years in Chicago — corked bats, PEDs, sulking and all the rest — make him a hard figure to love.
My guess is that they’ll be like one of those old bands that get together years later, with all of the past strife fading into distant memory. Of course, none of those reunions every bring forth anything memorable either, so we’ll all wonder what the point was.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 2
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)