Aug 18, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
“The Cubs threw me into the fire. They made people think I’m a monster.”
— Sammy Sosa on the Cubs in a forthcoming in-depth interview with Chicago Magazine in which he describes how he has no current relationship with the Cubs and how everything is just icky. The interview is not available online yet, but will be on newsstands tomorrow. A summary of the interview can be found here.
As for Sosa’s reputation in Chicago, I don’t know that anyone has much to be proud of. I’d like to think that the Cubs would be the bigger man about things in light of how much marketing mojo (and of course baseball production) Sosa brought to the north side over the years. At the same time, Sosa’s final years in Chicago — corked bats, PEDs, sulking and all the rest — make him a hard figure to love.
My guess is that they’ll be like one of those old bands that get together years later, with all of the past strife fading into distant memory. Of course, none of those reunions every bring forth anything memorable either, so we’ll all wonder what the point was.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)