Aug 18, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
“The Cubs threw me into the fire. They made people think I’m a monster.”
– Sammy Sosa on the Cubs in a forthcoming in-depth interview with Chicago Magazine in which he describes how he has no current relationship with the Cubs and how everything is just icky. The interview is not available online yet, but will be on newsstands tomorrow. A summary of the interview can be found here.
As for Sosa’s reputation in Chicago, I don’t know that anyone has much to be proud of. I’d like to think that the Cubs would be the bigger man about things in light of how much marketing mojo (and of course baseball production) Sosa brought to the north side over the years. At the same time, Sosa’s final years in Chicago — corked bats, PEDs, sulking and all the rest — make him a hard figure to love.
My guess is that they’ll be like one of those old bands that get together years later, with all of the past strife fading into distant memory. Of course, none of those reunions every bring forth anything memorable either, so we’ll all wonder what the point was.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)