Aug 18, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Rays — who have just about the best pitching in the American League — have signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal. Ortiz threw 30 innings for the Dodgers this year to the tune of a 6.30 ERA. Since then he’s been in the Mets system. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the Rays want him.
My first and best guess is that the Durham Bulls are worried that their 15.5 game lead in the International League Southern Division is in jeopardy and they want some extra help holding off Gwinnett. Yes, I realize that they only have 14 games left, but it’s the minor leagues and anything can happen!
Beyond that, I suppose it’s possible that Ortiz has compromising photographs of Rays executives, but I personally like the pennant race theory better.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59