Aug 18, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Rays — who have just about the best pitching in the American League — have signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal. Ortiz threw 30 innings for the Dodgers this year to the tune of a 6.30 ERA. Since then he’s been in the Mets system. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the Rays want him.
My first and best guess is that the Durham Bulls are worried that their 15.5 game lead in the International League Southern Division is in jeopardy and they want some extra help holding off Gwinnett. Yes, I realize that they only have 14 games left, but it’s the minor leagues and anything can happen!
Beyond that, I suppose it’s possible that Ortiz has compromising photographs of Rays executives, but I personally like the pennant race theory better.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)