Aug 18, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Rays — who have just about the best pitching in the American League — have signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal. Ortiz threw 30 innings for the Dodgers this year to the tune of a 6.30 ERA. Since then he’s been in the Mets system. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the Rays want him.
My first and best guess is that the Durham Bulls are worried that their 15.5 game lead in the International League Southern Division is in jeopardy and they want some extra help holding off Gwinnett. Yes, I realize that they only have 14 games left, but it’s the minor leagues and anything can happen!
Beyond that, I suppose it’s possible that Ortiz has compromising photographs of Rays executives, but I personally like the pennant race theory better.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)