Aug 18, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Rays — who have just about the best pitching in the American League — have signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal. Ortiz threw 30 innings for the Dodgers this year to the tune of a 6.30 ERA. Since then he’s been in the Mets system. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the Rays want him.
My first and best guess is that the Durham Bulls are worried that their 15.5 game lead in the International League Southern Division is in jeopardy and they want some extra help holding off Gwinnett. Yes, I realize that they only have 14 games left, but it’s the minor leagues and anything can happen!
Beyond that, I suppose it’s possible that Ortiz has compromising photographs of Rays executives, but I personally like the pennant race theory better.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)