Aug 18, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Rays — who have just about the best pitching in the American League — have signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal. Ortiz threw 30 innings for the Dodgers this year to the tune of a 6.30 ERA. Since then he’s been in the Mets system. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the Rays want him.
My first and best guess is that the Durham Bulls are worried that their 15.5 game lead in the International League Southern Division is in jeopardy and they want some extra help holding off Gwinnett. Yes, I realize that they only have 14 games left, but it’s the minor leagues and anything can happen!
Beyond that, I suppose it’s possible that Ortiz has compromising photographs of Rays executives, but I personally like the pennant race theory better.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)