Aug 18, 2010, 5:16 PM EST
John Axford has done a tremendous job since taking over for Trevor Hoffman as the Brewers’ closer in mid-May, going 7-1 while converting 18-of-20 saves with a 2.76 ERA and 50/20 K/BB ratio in 42.2 innings.
This afternoon, however, the 27-year-old rookie ran into trouble trying to close out a 3-0 lead over the Cardinals. So with the bases loaded, two outs, and the Brewers clinging to a 3-2 lead manager Ken Macha summoned Hoffman from the bullpen … and the all-time saves leader struck out Brendan Ryan on three pitches for his 598th career save.
Hoffman is highly unlikely to reclaim ninth-inning duties down the stretch, but since losing the gig to Axford he has a 3.46 ERA and .235 opponents’ batting average in 26 innings. He’s pitching well enough to at least make retiring or not his choice and my guess is that Macha will give Hoffman a shot to get the two more saves necessary to reach 600.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)