Aug 18, 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
Buster Olney asked a general manager why we have the complicated waiver-trade system between July 31st and August 31st. I had kind of been wondering that myself recently, so I was happy to see the question asked! Then I read the answer . . .
He paused before answering. “You know, I never thought about it like
that,” he said. “I guess we have it because that’s the way we’ve always
done it. But I can’t give you a good reason. You know, that’s a really good question. Probably just because that’s the way we’ve always done things.”
I’m going to go research why we have the waiver system now. But if a current GM doesn’t know why, I’m not sure I’ll be satisfied with any answers I come up with.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39