Aug 19, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte suffered a setback in his recovery from a strained groin while throwing a bullpen session Tuesday and an MRI exam taken afterward showed that the injury hasn’t healed as quickly as hoped.
Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com reports that he “will not be ready to return to the mound until the first week of September at the earliest, and more likely the middle of the month.”
Here’s how Pettitte described the situation:
When I tried to go, to throw like I was trying to get a batter out, it would grab me. I felt actually like I was being a weenie out there, like I could pitch through this. To say I’m frustrated, that’s an understatement. I’m trying to stay as positive as I can, but I want to pitch. I just want to get back and I want to pitch and I want to be healthy.
Matthews writes that Pettitte “blamed himself for pushing too hard in attempting to come back sooner than expected” and suggests that the 38-year-old left-hander “might not be able to pitch again this season.” And even if he does make it back with a week or two remaining on the schedule, being at full strength for the playoffs is obviously no sure thing.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)