Andy Pettitte unlikely to return before mid-September

Aug 19, 2010, 12:49 PM EST

Andy Pettitte suffered a setback in his recovery from a strained groin while throwing a bullpen session Tuesday and an MRI exam taken afterward showed that the injury hasn’t healed as quickly as hoped.
Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com reports that he “will not be ready to return to the mound until the first week of September at the earliest, and more likely the middle of the month.”
Here’s how Pettitte described the situation:

When I tried to go, to throw like I was trying to get a batter out, it would grab me. I felt actually like I was being a weenie out there, like I could pitch through this. To say I’m frustrated, that’s an understatement. I’m trying to stay as positive as I can, but I want to pitch. I just want to get back and I want to pitch and I want to be healthy.

Matthews writes that Pettitte “blamed himself for pushing too hard in attempting to come back sooner than expected” and suggests that the 38-year-old left-hander “might not be able to pitch again this season.” And even if he does make it back with a week or two remaining on the schedule, being at full strength for the playoffs is obviously no sure thing.

1. JimmyY - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM

HGH Andy, it works!

2. Kiwicricket - Aug 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Mentioning “weenie” while relating to a groin strain makes me giggle.

3. BC - Aug 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Ow.

4. Simon DelMonte - Aug 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

As much as I scoffed at the Yankees trying to gild the lily by acquiring Cliff Lee, it looks like that would have been a very smart move. Which makes me wonder all the more why Cashman didn’t shore up his rotation on July 31, Yes, there can always be a deal till August 31, but the best options are gone. Then again, it’s Cashman and he finds a way to make it happen.
    Still, the chance that the playoff rotation consists of CC, AJ, a spent Hughes and a wobbly Pettitte must be making making Rays and Rangers and Twins fans grin just a little. And there really is just enough baseball left that a weakened Yankees rotation could face a challenge from Boston.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Damn this game is tough when you can’t simply shoot up some HGH whenever you are injured. Sucks.

6. jde - Aug 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Damn, these comments are a tough read whenever you’re posting. Sucks.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3318)
  2. J. Kang (3137)
  3. C. McGehee (2854)
  4. J. Upton (2843)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2832)
  1. D. Ross (2676)