Aug 19, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Brad Hawpe was informed before yesterday’s game that it would be his last with the Rockies and the veteran outfielder delivered a pinch-hit single in a 3-2 win before being released just hours later.
Hawpe cleared waivers earlier this week, but the Rockies were apparently unable to find a trade partner and decided to simply eat the $2.2 million remaining on his contract for this season.
They also owe Hawpe a $500,000 buyout for next year, but there was never any doubt they’d choose that over a $10 million option. So, instead of becoming a free agent in November he’s a free agent now.
According to Hawpe the Rockies offered him the choice of remaining on the team as a part-time player for the final six weeks or being released, and he chose the latter in the hopes of latching on with a contender. Hawpe’s production has been well below his norms this season, but his .255/.343/.432 mark is hardly horrendous and he posted an OPS above .875 in each of the previous four seasons.
He’s also a career .274/.369/.470 hitter with an average of 24 homers per 550 at-bats away from Coors Field, so Hawpe would make plenty of sense as a stretch-run pickup for contenders in need of a good left-handed bat. Especially now that the Rockies are on the hook for his whole salary and the cost to acquire him for the rest of the season is around $100,000.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 0
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)