Aug 19, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Brad Hawpe was informed before yesterday’s game that it would be his last with the Rockies and the veteran outfielder delivered a pinch-hit single in a 3-2 win before being released just hours later.
Hawpe cleared waivers earlier this week, but the Rockies were apparently unable to find a trade partner and decided to simply eat the $2.2 million remaining on his contract for this season.
They also owe Hawpe a $500,000 buyout for next year, but there was never any doubt they’d choose that over a $10 million option. So, instead of becoming a free agent in November he’s a free agent now.
According to Hawpe the Rockies offered him the choice of remaining on the team as a part-time player for the final six weeks or being released, and he chose the latter in the hopes of latching on with a contender. Hawpe’s production has been well below his norms this season, but his .255/.343/.432 mark is hardly horrendous and he posted an OPS above .875 in each of the previous four seasons.
He’s also a career .274/.369/.470 hitter with an average of 24 homers per 550 at-bats away from Coors Field, so Hawpe would make plenty of sense as a stretch-run pickup for contenders in need of a good left-handed bat. Especially now that the Rockies are on the hook for his whole salary and the cost to acquire him for the rest of the season is around $100,000.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 20
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (111)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)