Aug 19, 2010, 1:43 PM EST
St. Louis’ efforts to land a replacement for the injured David Freese at third base must not have gone very well, because they just sent pitching prospect David Carpenter to the Astros for Pedro Feliz.
Once an excellent defender with good power that combined to make up for terrible on-base skills, Feliz has been one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .221/.243/.311 with four homers in 97 games.
He also batted just .266/.308/.386 for the Phillies last season and according to Ultimate Zone Rating even his defense has slipped this year, so at age 34 a sudden turnaround seems unlikely.
I’m not really sure what the point of this move is for the Cardinals. Yes, they needed help at third base, but unless Feliz’s defense returns to his previous excellent level he’s a really, really bad player. David Carpenter isn’t a ton to give up because he’s a 24-year-old converted catcher still at Single-A, but he’s posted some good strikeout numbers and Feliz is “replacement level” at this point.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)