Aug 19, 2010, 1:43 PM EDT
St. Louis’ efforts to land a replacement for the injured David Freese at third base must not have gone very well, because they just sent pitching prospect David Carpenter to the Astros for Pedro Feliz.
Once an excellent defender with good power that combined to make up for terrible on-base skills, Feliz has been one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .221/.243/.311 with four homers in 97 games.
He also batted just .266/.308/.386 for the Phillies last season and according to Ultimate Zone Rating even his defense has slipped this year, so at age 34 a sudden turnaround seems unlikely.
I’m not really sure what the point of this move is for the Cardinals. Yes, they needed help at third base, but unless Feliz’s defense returns to his previous excellent level he’s a really, really bad player. David Carpenter isn’t a ton to give up because he’s a 24-year-old converted catcher still at Single-A, but he’s posted some good strikeout numbers and Feliz is “replacement level” at this point.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)