Aug 19, 2010, 1:43 PM EDT
St. Louis’ efforts to land a replacement for the injured David Freese at third base must not have gone very well, because they just sent pitching prospect David Carpenter to the Astros for Pedro Feliz.
Once an excellent defender with good power that combined to make up for terrible on-base skills, Feliz has been one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .221/.243/.311 with four homers in 97 games.
He also batted just .266/.308/.386 for the Phillies last season and according to Ultimate Zone Rating even his defense has slipped this year, so at age 34 a sudden turnaround seems unlikely.
I’m not really sure what the point of this move is for the Cardinals. Yes, they needed help at third base, but unless Feliz’s defense returns to his previous excellent level he’s a really, really bad player. David Carpenter isn’t a ton to give up because he’s a 24-year-old converted catcher still at Single-A, but he’s posted some good strikeout numbers and Feliz is “replacement level” at this point.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 80
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)