Carlos Gonzalez hung onto the ball and escaped with merely a bruised knee after full-speed wall collision
Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Last night the Rockies beat the Dodgers in extra innings thanks in large part to Carlos Gonzalez’s exceptional catch in the sixth frame.
With a runner on first base Casey Blake sent a Jason Hammel pitch deep into the gap in right-center field, but Gonzalez sprinted after it and made the grab inches from the wall … and then slammed into it at full speed.
He held on for the inning-ending catch, but then collapsed in a heap and was down for several minutes. At first the assumption was that he’d knocked himself out, which seems like the natural course of action when someone runs full speed into a fence, but it turns out the bigger issue was Gonzalez’s right leg ramming into the wall.
Gonzalez eventually limped off the field under his own power and has been diagnosed with a bruised right knee, which qualifies as very good news for the Rockies. He’s unlikely to play today, but manager Jim Tracy said he’s hoping to get Gonzalez back in the lineup as soon as Friday.
And if you haven’t yet seen the great, fearless catch, check out the video on MLB.com.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 29
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 127
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (127)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)