Carlos Gonzalez hung onto the ball and escaped with merely a bruised knee after full-speed wall collision
Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Last night the Rockies beat the Dodgers in extra innings thanks in large part to Carlos Gonzalez’s exceptional catch in the sixth frame.
With a runner on first base Casey Blake sent a Jason Hammel pitch deep into the gap in right-center field, but Gonzalez sprinted after it and made the grab inches from the wall … and then slammed into it at full speed.
He held on for the inning-ending catch, but then collapsed in a heap and was down for several minutes. At first the assumption was that he’d knocked himself out, which seems like the natural course of action when someone runs full speed into a fence, but it turns out the bigger issue was Gonzalez’s right leg ramming into the wall.
Gonzalez eventually limped off the field under his own power and has been diagnosed with a bruised right knee, which qualifies as very good news for the Rockies. He’s unlikely to play today, but manager Jim Tracy said he’s hoping to get Gonzalez back in the lineup as soon as Friday.
And if you haven’t yet seen the great, fearless catch, check out the video on MLB.com.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)