Carlos Gonzalez hung onto the ball and escaped with merely a bruised knee after full-speed wall collision
Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Last night the Rockies beat the Dodgers in extra innings thanks in large part to Carlos Gonzalez’s exceptional catch in the sixth frame.
With a runner on first base Casey Blake sent a Jason Hammel pitch deep into the gap in right-center field, but Gonzalez sprinted after it and made the grab inches from the wall … and then slammed into it at full speed.
He held on for the inning-ending catch, but then collapsed in a heap and was down for several minutes. At first the assumption was that he’d knocked himself out, which seems like the natural course of action when someone runs full speed into a fence, but it turns out the bigger issue was Gonzalez’s right leg ramming into the wall.
Gonzalez eventually limped off the field under his own power and has been diagnosed with a bruised right knee, which qualifies as very good news for the Rockies. He’s unlikely to play today, but manager Jim Tracy said he’s hoping to get Gonzalez back in the lineup as soon as Friday.
And if you haven’t yet seen the great, fearless catch, check out the video on MLB.com.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1