Carlos Gonzalez hung onto the ball and escaped with merely a bruised knee after full-speed wall collision
Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Last night the Rockies beat the Dodgers in extra innings thanks in large part to Carlos Gonzalez’s exceptional catch in the sixth frame.
With a runner on first base Casey Blake sent a Jason Hammel pitch deep into the gap in right-center field, but Gonzalez sprinted after it and made the grab inches from the wall … and then slammed into it at full speed.
He held on for the inning-ending catch, but then collapsed in a heap and was down for several minutes. At first the assumption was that he’d knocked himself out, which seems like the natural course of action when someone runs full speed into a fence, but it turns out the bigger issue was Gonzalez’s right leg ramming into the wall.
Gonzalez eventually limped off the field under his own power and has been diagnosed with a bruised right knee, which qualifies as very good news for the Rockies. He’s unlikely to play today, but manager Jim Tracy said he’s hoping to get Gonzalez back in the lineup as soon as Friday.
And if you haven’t yet seen the great, fearless catch, check out the video on MLB.com.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)