Aug 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto received a seven-game suspension for kicking Chris Carpenter and Jason LaRue in the head during a benches-clearing incident with the Cardinals last week, meaning he missed just one start.
His kicks, however, will have a much more lasting impact on LaRue, who hasn’t played since then because of a concussion and today was placed on the 60-day disabled list. He’s done for the season, leaving Bryan Anderson to serve as Yadier Molina’s backup.
Suspensions obviously aren’t intended to be eye-for-an-eye punishments, but it sure doesn’t seem fair that the guy who got kicked in the head is going to miss the rest of the season and the guy who kicked him in the head missed one start. Of course, there’s also a decent chance the Cardinals try to dole out their own punishment to Cueto the next time he pitches against them.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)