Concussion from Johnny Cueto kick sends Jason LaRue to 60-day disabled list

Aug 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EST

Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto received a seven-game suspension for kicking Chris Carpenter and Jason LaRue in the head during a benches-clearing incident with the Cardinals last week, meaning he missed just one start.
His kicks, however, will have a much more lasting impact on LaRue, who hasn’t played since then because of a concussion and today was placed on the 60-day disabled list. He’s done for the season, leaving Bryan Anderson to serve as Yadier Molina’s backup.
Suspensions obviously aren’t intended to be eye-for-an-eye punishments, but it sure doesn’t seem fair that the guy who got kicked in the head is going to miss the rest of the season and the guy who kicked him in the head missed one start. Of course, there’s also a decent chance the Cardinals try to dole out their own punishment to Cueto the next time he pitches against them.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I’ve watched the video at least 10 times and two things are clear to me. First, the whole thing doesn’t happen if Molina keeps his fat ass behind home plate. Second, Cueto is backed into the netting and is getting rushed by a couple Cardinals, and instead of getting his back broken by the rush of guys, he does all he can do which is kick his way out of there. I guess I’m just nuts because there seems to be NOBODY else on the planet who agrees with either of my takes, but I just watched it again, and came to the same conclusions.

2. RedsDouche - Aug 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I’ve watched a replay of that fight. I’ve yet to see LaRue get kicked in the face. And then later when he and Carpenter were put on the kiss cam at the stadium, I saw no bumps, cuts, bruises, etc on his face. And he wasn’t acting like he was in any sort of pain. They were both smiling and faked a kiss or whatever. So yeah, sounds to me like some sheisty managing by LaRussa to justify whatever they end up doing to Cueto. Besides, when was the last time LaRue was relevant anyway? It’s no loss to the Cards to lose him for the season. He’s awful. Yet another reason why LaRussa doesn’t mind making it look like he’s injured and putting him on the 60day DL. Gives them a roster spot to bring someone up who’s probably much better than him anyway.
    SO where’s the Carpenter bashing for keeping this fight going anyway? I read on here that Carpenter was out there trying to be a peace maker. Yet, coincedentally, once he came out running his meat locker, the fight got worse. Hmmmm, wonder why? Maybe b/c Carpenter is a d-bag who can’t keep his mouth shut and thinks he owns the world. F the Cards.

3. UofMbuttpirate - Aug 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

LaRue had Cueto (the Red’s starting pitcher) pinned against the backstop wall and deservedly got a taste of Cueto’s cleats in return. It’s a bad deal for LaRue because he would have been the Cardinal’s starting catcher after Aroldis Chapman plants a 103 mph fastball in Molina’s ear next Friday. Hey, when the shit hits the fan anything can happen…so put LaRue’s injury on Molina where it belongs.

4. Old Gator - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

It’s true that baseball is death-proof, but to get the benefit of it you kinda have to be sitting in the commissioner’s office. Why not just load both teams onto two busses, lock them in with a dozen leaky drums of kerosene, and drive them at each other under remote control at about 125 mph and be done with the whole mess? To hell with all of them. Then bring up some charming little gentlemen from both teams’ AAA affiliates and start from scratch.
    There now. Let’s get back to organizing that lynch mob for Roger Clemens.

5. m22pank - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM

As neither a Cards or Reds fan, I have seen the video as well and find Cueto’s actions deplorable. I agree with Molina in the first place, if your going to talk smack about my team beforehand don’t come out for your at bat and act like all is good (the tap on the shins is meant as a sign of goodwill). As a ball player my opinion is that using your cleats as a weapon is a inexcusable act. He was being pushed into a padded wall and net…not a life-threatening ordeal. If your going to fight back, do it like a man, push back, throw a punch…whatever you do, do it face to face…don’t lay back and start throwing kicks indiscriminately like a teenage girl fresh out of self-defense classes. If cleats start being used as weapons by idiots that don’t know any better, then we need to go back to little league and wear plastic ones so we don’t end up costing guys seasons/careers. For those of you that are implicating that the Cardinals (and I say this with a dislike for the Cardinal team) would end a guy’s season for any other reason then him being hurt, grow up. This isn’t grade school. That is the stupidest notion I have ever heard. And to say that his actions afterward show that he did not have a concussion shows that you are a fat couch potato that has never gotten off your rear end enough to do something active enough to get a concussion in your life…it’s a concussion, not a coma!

6. Tim - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Is this a joke? Why would any team want to lose their solid backup catcher in the middle of a pennant race to justify something that “may” happen in the future. That’s dumber than not being able to spot Cueto’s cleat connecting with LaRue’s face in the video.

7. djigel - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

A fight is a fight…. deal with it…. having had several concussions from playing sports, I can tell you, when you have a concussion it is pretty rough. Looking up at the lights makes you sick, you can’t focus, etc…. you dont sit around and goof off. You go to the ER and get a cat scan. Is LaRue hurt really that hurt? who knows. who cares about Jason LaRue? Is Cueto in the wrong kicking? yup. Was every player in the fight wrong for not “talking it out like gentlemen?” of course. But Cueto has been punished according to the league…. it wasn’t his fault he didn’t kick someone tougher.

8. wsandfoss12 - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM

With hair like that the guy probably deserved a concussion.

9. BengalsDouche2 - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM

LaRue is awful! Solid backup? Really? Get real man.

10. BengalsDouche2 - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Thank you for that DJIGEL….LaRue and Carpenter were sitting around joking with each other in the dugout all game after that fight. No way he’s as hurt as they claim. It’s a load of BS

11. m22pank - Aug 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM

really?!? Everyone that gets a concussion of any grade feels like sick and shows the exact same symptoms every time?!? As an athlete I can say that I have had multiple concussions, some of which I got sick after, and some of which I did not…one of them I kept practicing and didn’t show any symptoms of it until two hours later, then wasn’t able to get cleared for a week. As a coach I have seen more then my share of cuncussions, including one were a kid got hit in the face with a pitch. He showed obvious signs of a concussion, but sat in the dugout and b.s.’ed somewhat incoherently the rest of the game before his parents got there to take him to the hospital…but maybe your right, just because the kid could sit and chat and laugh and have a good time (even if he did ask the score and inning every five minutes) he must not have had a concussion and I should not have sat my best pitcher out of the rest of regional tournament that year because…hey, he could b.s…must not have had a concussion…

12. RedsDouche - Aug 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I played high school sports as well as sports beyond that. I’ve not once seen a guy with a concussion be able to sit around and laugh and joke with guys afterward. Not once. If you had guys practicing and acting normal after a concussion then maybe it was mis-diagnosed or it was an extremely mild concussion. The Cards are making LaRue out to have brain damage for christ’s sake. And where in the world did you hear he was sitting around asking the score all game? Is that something you made up or did St. Louis media make that up to justify him joking and bs’ing around the dugout after receiving his “concussion”. This is the biggest load of crap. Anything to make the Reds look like the bad guys of the division when we all know St. Louis is the one team not many other teams like b/c of the way they whine and cry when something doesn’t go their way.

13. GN 22 - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Right next to Cueto pinned up against the screen is Carpenter and you don’t see him kicking around like a little b!tch. Seems like all the Reds fans out there think they’re entitled to something this year just because they’re leading the division for once, and are possibly on their way to the playoffs for the first time since 1995. Molina had the right to tell Phillips not to act like they’re friends. Phillips just thinks he’s the baddest player in baseball. He’s an above average mediocre player at best, especially playing in the sandbox there in Cincinnati where his numbers are a little inflated. Even in that case, they’re not that great.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester