Aug 19, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
You may remember that one of the big points of contention in Roger Clemens’ hearing before Congress was whether or not he was at a party at Jose Canseco’s house back in 1998 during which steroids were discussed. McNamee said Clemens was there. Clemens said he was not.
Jose Canseco has long backed Clemens, saying no, he was not there. Back in June he testified before the grand jury and — while cameras and stuff aren’t allowed in the grand jury room — Canseco told reporters afterward that he again reiterated that, no, Clemens was not there.
Seems hard to square with the fact that the indictment specifically charges Clemens with lying about not being at the party. If Jose Canseco really did stick to his guns under oath, I’m not sure how Clemens could be charged. Likewise, the easiest way to charge Clemens with lying about that statement was if Canseco flipped on him.
And if Jose didn’t flip, and said that Clemens was not at the party, and the grand jury knows that’s a lie (which they must to have indicted Clemens), wouldn’t Jose Canseco be subject to a charge of lying to the grand jury too?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)