Aug 19, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
You may remember that one of the big points of contention in Roger Clemens’ hearing before Congress was whether or not he was at a party at Jose Canseco’s house back in 1998 during which steroids were discussed. McNamee said Clemens was there. Clemens said he was not.
Jose Canseco has long backed Clemens, saying no, he was not there. Back in June he testified before the grand jury and — while cameras and stuff aren’t allowed in the grand jury room — Canseco told reporters afterward that he again reiterated that, no, Clemens was not there.
Seems hard to square with the fact that the indictment specifically charges Clemens with lying about not being at the party. If Jose Canseco really did stick to his guns under oath, I’m not sure how Clemens could be charged. Likewise, the easiest way to charge Clemens with lying about that statement was if Canseco flipped on him.
And if Jose didn’t flip, and said that Clemens was not at the party, and the grand jury knows that’s a lie (which they must to have indicted Clemens), wouldn’t Jose Canseco be subject to a charge of lying to the grand jury too?
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (124)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (100)