Aug 19, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
You may remember that one of the big points of contention in Roger Clemens’ hearing before Congress was whether or not he was at a party at Jose Canseco’s house back in 1998 during which steroids were discussed. McNamee said Clemens was there. Clemens said he was not.
Jose Canseco has long backed Clemens, saying no, he was not there. Back in June he testified before the grand jury and — while cameras and stuff aren’t allowed in the grand jury room — Canseco told reporters afterward that he again reiterated that, no, Clemens was not there.
Seems hard to square with the fact that the indictment specifically charges Clemens with lying about not being at the party. If Jose Canseco really did stick to his guns under oath, I’m not sure how Clemens could be charged. Likewise, the easiest way to charge Clemens with lying about that statement was if Canseco flipped on him.
And if Jose didn’t flip, and said that Clemens was not at the party, and the grand jury knows that’s a lie (which they must to have indicted Clemens), wouldn’t Jose Canseco be subject to a charge of lying to the grand jury too?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)