Aug 19, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
You may remember that one of the big points of contention in Roger Clemens’ hearing before Congress was whether or not he was at a party at Jose Canseco’s house back in 1998 during which steroids were discussed. McNamee said Clemens was there. Clemens said he was not.
Jose Canseco has long backed Clemens, saying no, he was not there. Back in June he testified before the grand jury and — while cameras and stuff aren’t allowed in the grand jury room — Canseco told reporters afterward that he again reiterated that, no, Clemens was not there.
Seems hard to square with the fact that the indictment specifically charges Clemens with lying about not being at the party. If Jose Canseco really did stick to his guns under oath, I’m not sure how Clemens could be charged. Likewise, the easiest way to charge Clemens with lying about that statement was if Canseco flipped on him.
And if Jose didn’t flip, and said that Clemens was not at the party, and the grand jury knows that’s a lie (which they must to have indicted Clemens), wouldn’t Jose Canseco be subject to a charge of lying to the grand jury too?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)