Document shows that Jamie McCourt does too own the Dodgers

Aug 19, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Recently there has been some noise about Jamie and Frank McCourt settling their divorce case and Frank buying Jamie out. A lot of this is likely borne of a desire to avoid a nasty trail that would likely have a lot of stuff about people sleeping with people who weren’t their spouse at the time and overpaid faith healers and other ugly things showing how the rich are different than you and me.

A lot of it, however, likely also has to do with the fact that Jamie faces a pretty tough fight to get around that document she signed basically giving the Dodgers to Frank in exchange for all of their personal real estate.  But that part of the equation may be changing:

Jamie McCourt’s attorneys said Thursday they have located a document
showing she has an equal stake in the ownership of the Los Angeles
Dodgers and that the revelation will dramatically alter a bitter
struggle for the team amid McCourt’s divorce proceedings . . .

. . . Thursday’s filing contends that newly discovered documents correctly
spell out the team’s ownership, granting Jamie McCourt a stake. The
agreement was located after a forensic analysis of other documents in
the case revealed that another copy of the 2004 agreement improperly
included an exhibit designating Frank McCourt as the Dodgers’ sole
owner.

Shockingly, Jamie’s lawyers say this is huge while Frank’s lawyers say it’s not.  It is wonderfully crazy, though, as big surprises on the eve of a trial often are.  Indeed, the only thing that would make this better is if a ragged man appeared at the back of a courtroom claiming — Martin Guerre-style — that he was the real Frank McCourt.

In other news, this day has officially been lost to baseball nutcases and their legal problems, so if Pete Rose or someone else wants to pipe up, now would be a great time to do so.

1. Old Gator - Aug 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM

As a matter of fact, I am the real Frank McCourt. But I never married that crazy bitch.

2. Kiwicricket - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I hope your memory is hazy, as you also managed to breed with her at some point.

3. Old Gator - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, I know. Fortunately, little Gregor keeps to his room and hides under the bed.

4. El Bravo - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

…and all the other Frank McCourt’s are just imitating, so the real Frank McCourt, please stand up…

5. JimmyY - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Believe it when I see it, after all it is lawyers doing the talking……

6. John_Michael - Aug 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I have an old contract from college and a check for $3,000 that proves that I own 85% of the Dodgers.

7. Florida727 - Aug 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

John_Michael, after the lawyers get done with their take, I hope you get your investment back :)

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet