Aug 19, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Dustin Pedroia, who went 1-for-7 in his first two games back from a broken left foot, had to be scratched from Thursday’s lineup with soreness in the same area.
Jed Lowrie is filling in as the Red Sox go for a three-game sweep versus the Angels.
It’s been obvious since he returned that Pedroia is still hobbled by the foot. Fortunately, the Red Sox have a hot hitter to plug into his place. Lowrie is batting .308/.429/.538 in 52 at-bats since making his season debut last month. He’s homered in his last two appearances.
No word yet on whether Pedroia will be available off the bench. It sounds as though he’s day-to-day.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (75)