Aug 19, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Dustin Pedroia, who went 1-for-7 in his first two games back from a broken left foot, had to be scratched from Thursday’s lineup with soreness in the same area.
Jed Lowrie is filling in as the Red Sox go for a three-game sweep versus the Angels.
It’s been obvious since he returned that Pedroia is still hobbled by the foot. Fortunately, the Red Sox have a hot hitter to plug into his place. Lowrie is batting .308/.429/.538 in 52 at-bats since making his season debut last month. He’s homered in his last two appearances.
No word yet on whether Pedroia will be available off the bench. It sounds as though he’s day-to-day.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (146)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)