Aug 19, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Dustin Pedroia, who went 1-for-7 in his first two games back from a broken left foot, had to be scratched from Thursday’s lineup with soreness in the same area.
Jed Lowrie is filling in as the Red Sox go for a three-game sweep versus the Angels.
It’s been obvious since he returned that Pedroia is still hobbled by the foot. Fortunately, the Red Sox have a hot hitter to plug into his place. Lowrie is batting .308/.429/.538 in 52 at-bats since making his season debut last month. He’s homered in his last two appearances.
No word yet on whether Pedroia will be available off the bench. It sounds as though he’s day-to-day.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)