Aug 19, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Joe Mauer remained red hot last night, going 4-for-5 with a homer and a double as the Twins extended their AL Central lead to five games, and afterward various reports about the game noted how the reigning MVP finished “a triple short of the cycle.”
That phrase appears constantly in game stories throughout every season and I’m guilty of using it plenty myself, so I’m certainly not picking on the writers who do the same. However, for some reason it finally occurred to me last night that perhaps “a triple short of the cycle” isn’t all that noteworthy.
Thanks to the amazing “Play Index” on Baseball-Reference.com, I looked up how many times this season a hitter has been “a triple short of the cycle” and the answer is … 172. Seriously. Mauer has done it three times all by himself, and he’s not even the leader. Matt Holliday and Carlos Gonzalez have done it four times apiece. Hitting for the cycle is almost as rare as throwing a no-hitter, but coming up “a triple short of the cycle” happens almost 10 times a week.
Or, put another way: This season a hitter has finished “a triple short of the cycle” 172 times and there have been a grand total of 644 triples hit by all 30 teams. Given that, maybe we’ll start to see some game stories about how someone was “a single, double, and homer” short of the cycle when they hit a triple.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)