Aug 19, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
This morning Lance Berkman told reporters that he felt good enough to play through the ankle injury that knocked him out of Sunday’s game and has kept him out of the lineup since, but the Yankees have decided to place him on the disabled list anyway.
Joe Girardi said Berkman’s injury “hadn’t progressed quite as quickly as we wanted it to” and there’s little reason to play a 34-year-old part-time player at less than full strength.
Prior to the injury Berkman started 11 of 15 games since being traded to the Yankees late last month, hitting .179/.273/.282 with four doubles and five walks in 44 plate appearances.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)