Aug 19, 2010, 8:53 AM EST
I missed this when I was doing the recaps, but the ending of the Dodgers-Rockies game was pretty nifty. Well, if you were a Rockies fan or if you like to rag on third base coaches and stuff.
Bottom of the 10th, two down, Dodgers down by a run. Reed Johnson was on first base when Scott Podsednik’s hit one to center that dropped in front of Dexter Fowler, who was playing Podsednik somewhere just south of Modesto. Fowler picked it up however and, rather than getting all macho about it and trying to nail Podsednik at home himself, did the smart thing and relayed it to the guy with the better arm. Troy Tulowitski threw a bullet home and nailed Johnson by several feet, ballgame over.
Joe Torre defended Larry Bowa’s decision to send Johnson, saying that the Rockies had to make a perfect throw. They did make a perfect throw, of course, but given how much room they had to spare in tagging Johnson out, they probably would have gotten him with a merely good one.
Hindsight, I suppose. I think it would be really hard to be a third base coach. My instinct would probably be to send guys more often than guys currently get sent, and they’d get nailed a lot, most likely.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)