Aug 19, 2010, 5:48 PM EST
Rod Barajas has returned from the disabled list and the Mets made room for him on the roster by demoting Fernando Martinez back to Triple-A.
Martinez’s latest stint with the Mets lasted 12 days, during which time he started just five times and got all of 22 plate appearances. His return to the minors seemingly means Jeff Francoeur is back to being an everyday player.
And why not? After all, Francoeur is hitting .234/.292/.375 overall this season for the worst OPS of any corner outfielder in the league and he’s batting .167 in his last 20 games.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)