Royals owner denies rumors that he's trying to sell team

Aug 19, 2010, 4:49 PM EST

Royals owner David Glass denied rumors that he’s attempting to sell the team, telling Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star:

I have never ever talked to anyone about selling the club. Period. I have never had a discussion with anyone about it and I have no interest in doing so.

Dutton chalks up the rumors to “buzz through the blogosphere, fueled by occasional discussion on talk radio” and Glass was unaware of the speculation, saying: “The only guys who hear rumors are you guys in the media” and “I’m surprised to hear that.”
Glass has owned the Royals since 2000, during which time they’ve had one winning season while going 723-1,017 (.416) overall. “I want to be around for the good times,” Glass told Dutton. “I don’t want to miss that. I think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think the organization is doing it the right way.”

1. Old Gator - Aug 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

He’s letting Bud Light touch him, isn’t he? Eccchhhh.

2. The Rabbit - Aug 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Bud Light is the only “light” at the end of that tunnel.

3. JimmyY - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Yes, Mr. Glass may not have talked to anyone about selling, but that does not mean he has not had his LAWYERS or some other representatives talk or consult. See, learning that lawyer-speak.

4. kcfan - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Sell the team to Mark Cuban! Hell being a fan of a team that makes it to the playoffs every year just to disappoint their fan base is better than being a fan of a team that is out of playoff contention before the end of May.

5. Ron Thompson - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM

723-1,017 (.416). More than a decade of seasons averaging 67-95.
    Worst owner in baseball. Can’t leave soon enough.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester