Union files a K-Rod grievance

Aug 19, 2010, 9:27 AM EDT

It was promised and expected and last night it happened: the Players’ Association filed a grievance against the Mets over him being placed on the disqualified list and for deeming his contract non-guaranteed.

You’ve heard me go on and on about this so I won’t bore you with that again. But how telling is it that the Daily News — and several other papers reporting on this — all run immediately to the “will the Mets buy out K-Rod’s contract next year or try to trade him?” analysis.  I think it’s safe to say that absolutely no one buys the notion that the Mets are going to prevail on their non-guaranteed contract gambit.

1. Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Wouldn’t the best move be to pick up some money and move him to a team that already has an “established closer?” If K-Rod went to, say, Minnesota, there would be no danger in K-Rod finishing 55 games with Joe Nathan around – nobody could accuse them of deliberately trying to prevent his option from vesting – and the Twins would still get significant value from Rodriguez handling their high-leverage innings. Seems like the best solution if the Mets decide to divest themselves of him.

2. BC - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM

My bet is some horse-trading goes on. The Mets get to keep him on the disqualified list for the rest of the year, but the contract stays guaranteed. Or less likely, vice versa. Of course all of this could have been headed off if they hadn’t done the asinine 2-day-suspension-then-pitch-him-the-next-night thing – they should have punted him for the season to begin with. Of course the union would just grouse at that too, but the way this was handled is indicative of the hyper-fecal Mets front office. They’re like a seagull: swoop in, crap all over everything and fly away.

3. mike wants wins - Aug 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM

If you or I did this in the workplace, we’d be fired instantly.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

You and I also have at-will employment as opposed to a guaranteed contract.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I am still fuzzy about this…if K-Rod robbed a bank and got a year in prison, would he still be guaranteed his salary next year? I mean, he assaulted his father-in-law and was arrested for it. And in doing so, he injured himself for the year and possibly more. So why shouldn’t the Mutts be allowed to void his contract for this year and beyond because of his criminal conduct?? Makes zero sense to me.

6. Old Gator - Aug 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Guess you’ve never met a pelican, eh? It’s a matter of scale.

7. BC - Aug 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Depends what’s in the morals clause. There could be language in there that says if he’s convicted of a felony, the guarantees disappear. Or there could be specific language in there, like the Aaron Boone basketball thing, or the Rothlesburger motorcycle thing.
    (Too bad Rothlesburger didn’t have a clause in there about 20-year old women and restrooms)

8. mike wants wins - Aug 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Yes, Craig, that is true. However, that doesn’t make it right, does it? I’ve seen you argue on this site for right and wrong on more than one occassion. Sure would be cool to have a contract that paid me, even if I did this, or sucked at my job……

9. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I don’t think the wrongness of K-Rod’s actions justifies the wrongness of allowing the Mets to crumple up a contract they agreed to, fully aware of the risks of said contract.

10. Steve-0 - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The Mets might have assumed the last year of that deal a risk but I’m not sure the risk that K-Rod might break his hand on his Father-in-Law’s face was readily apparent at the time the contracted was signed.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2835)