And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

Aug 20, 2010, 5:58 AM EDT

The White Sox and Giants get up off the mat to salvage a win in their respective series. And I wrote a couple things in here that are gonna cause me to catch hell from Gleeman.

White Sox 11, Twins 0: Paul Konerko was a triple short of a cycle. (Oh crap; now I’m in trouble!).

Angels 7, Red Sox 2: Anaheim finally wins one against Boston. A three-run homer from Hideki Matsui in the 6th opened things up for the Angels. Know what ain’t lookin’ good right now? Josh Beckett’s contract extension (6 IP, 7 H, 6 ER).

Orioles 4, Rangers 0: Brian Matusz shut the Rangers out over eight. He had struggled mightily against them in two previous starts this year so maybe our children is learning. Texas is 2-5 since Greenberg and Ryan took over, by the way. I think I’m gonna try and get some sort of curse started. By the time it gains cultural purchase, people will have forgotten that I invented it from whole cloth.

Giants 5, Phillies 2: Jonathan Sanchez shut the Phillies down until
tiring in the ninth. Bruce Bochy removed Sanchez from the game in the
middle of Placido Polanco’s at bat in the ninth while he had a five run
lead. At the time he had exactly 100 pitches. Someone want to give Bochy
the pitch count lecture again? I mean, yeah, monitor it, but no one is
gonna die if they get to 101.

Astros 3, Mets 2: Hard to expect a hell of a lot more from Pat Misch
than three runs in six innings. The Mets just couldn’t get it done with
the bats.

Padres 5, Cubs 3: I’m beginning to think that this Mat Latos character can pitch a little bit (7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 10K). And this was fun.  Pro tip: when you call time out, make sure time out is granted before you lollygag around the infield.

Nationals 6, Braves 2: Atlanta pop-fouled and ran its way out of potential rallies in both the sixth and eighth innings and the Nats pen shut the Braves down in the final innings, preventing one of their increasingly common late game comebacks.

Yankees 11, Tigers 5: When the sixth inning began it was 2-2. when it ended it was 11-2. Robinson Cano hit a two-run bomb and an RBI double that inning. He also finished a triple short of the cycle!  (Damn!)

Dodgers 2, Rockies 0: The season hasn’t gone the way the Dodgers want it to, but you can’t blame their main trade deadline pickup. Ted Lilly was masterful, throwing a two-hit shutout with a 11 strikeouts.

Reds 9, Diamondbacks 5: The Reds are on their longest winning streak of the year — six games — and now have their largest lead over the Cardinals all year as well: three and a half games.

Athletics 4, Rays 3: Most of Trevor Cahill’s recent starts have been dominant. This one was less so — he was in a bit of trouble — but he fought through it and got some timely offensive support and some great defensive behind him. Included in that was a couple of double plays and this spiffy catch from Coco Crisp.

Indians 7, Royals 3: The winning team had five errors. There were 23 hits in the game. It lasted 3:24. The stands were basically empty. Gametime temperature was 90. I love baseball with a passion, but being at this game would seriously test it.

Marlins 4, Pirates 2: Susan Sontag once said that “the
life of the creative man is led, directed and controlled by boredom.
Avoiding boredom is one of our most important purposes.” While I believe that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap, there’s something to that quote. It’s something that inspired me not to spend any time reading the box score or dwelling too deeply on the specifics of a mid-to-late August, midweek Marlins-Pirates game. Life is too damn short. I’m sorry.

I’m goin’ on vacation next week. Based on the fact that I punted those last two recaps I probably need it.

1. SouthofHeaven - Aug 20, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Texiera’s double-bobble catch yesterday was a thing of pure beauty. That guy is inhuman defensively.

2. Kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Two things stood out yesterday….
    The Cubs are awful. Letting that runner home from 3rd was horrific, and they quite rightly got booed mercilessly.
    Jose Valverde and his little dance move at the end of the Yankees game. Struck out Cano(triple short of the cycle) and strutted off like a proud peacock showing his vastly superior feathers. Detroit was down 11-5. Class. I think I side with Montero when it comes to an opinion about that guy.

3. YankeesfanLen - Aug 20, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Enjoy your vacation, Craig. If San Diego is in your plans please scout the Padres and I’ll pass it along to my beleagured friends who are Metropolitans fans (oh, wait they have a manager who isn’t a buffoon.
    Is Tiffany doing HBT Daily alone?
    Universe is getting itself in order after having rid itself once again of the curse of the permanent DH.
    Happy trails!

4. Ace2000 - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I’d like to present you with an alternative view of boredom, this one from David Foster Wallace (whose writing I happen to enjoy quite a bit more than Sontag’s):
    “Bliss — a second-by-­second joy and gratitude at the gift of being alive, conscious — lies on the other side of crushing, crushing boredom. Pay close attention to the most tedious thing you can find (Tax Returns, Televised Golf) and, in waves, a boredom like you’ve never known will wash over you and just about kill you. Ride these out, and it’s like stepping from black and white into color. Like water after days in the desert. Instant bliss in every atom.”
    Happy vacation Craig!

5. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Thanks Ace.
    Probably worth noting that, sadly, Wallace didn’t really do a great job of riding things out in the end, so his advice may have been of limited utility. ;-)

6. lessick - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Look at the replay of Teixeira’s catch. It hit the heel of his glove on the fly. Had he caught it on the fly, it would have been a nice catch, but since he bobbled it twice, it somehow leaps to “outstanding???”

7. Ditto65 - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

The hardest advice to follow is often your own.

8. BC - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

“The Beatles saved the world from boredom.” — George Harrison
    One of my favorites.

9. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Sontag’s comments could be paraphrased as, “Nietsche says order arises from boredom, Howard.”
    Incidentally, Craig, if you think her novels and essays are overwrought crap (not much disagreement on this end), you should try to sit through one of her films. Keep a DVD of Duet for Cannibals handy for those nights when your impending IRS audit makes it difficult to sleep.
    Nothing much happened during the Feesh-Pyrites capper last night anyway. The Iron Giant went one for four and snapped his ohfer string. The Feesh conjoined with the strange attractor for the twentieth time this season. I don’t know if that’s a record or not but it just feels so right for a team poised between the cheapest tightwad in baseball and one of its smartest general managers.

10. APBA Guy - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Crisp’s catch was the turning point of the game. Before that, the “crowd”, the half dozen or so gathered behind the A’s bullpen to await foul ball souvenirs, had been largely silent, huddled under their blankets for warmth, impressed with the length of Longoria’s homerun, or marveling at what could have been if the A’s had kept Pena (or Ethier, or Carlos Gomzalez, or Nelson Cruz, or any combination of the four.)
    Instead, Crisp electrified the crowd, and that energy transferred to the A’s, who took advantage of Joe Maddon’s by the book relieving and the ineffective Dan Wheeler to waste an unusually good Sonnanstine start.
    Games like this are precious, Joe. The Red Sox aren’t dead. There are six weeks left and you haven’t secured the playoffs yet.
    Tiffany isn’t taking off next week, is she? Having her do HBT will slightly lessen the disappointment of not having you here :) Enjoy yourself!

11. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Not that it excuses the Cubs any, but any time a coach touches a player on the base-paths, I’d assume the play was dead as well. Not sure coaches are even allowed to do that, but I’m guessing not. If you look at the video, the 3rd base coach goes and gives Venable the ole butt pat and says something to him before Venable takes off.

12. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Now that I looked it up, I guess the base coach has to physically assist the runner in some sort of way? I’m guessing that this could be ruled either way. But in most cases of coaches touching players, it’s a dead ball. What an odd gray area that I’m sure only I care about.

13. Tribester - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

It seems like 2 or 3 Web Gems each week are good recoveries on bobbled routine plays.

All the trade deadline news to know