Aug 20, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Conor Jackson, who just rejoined the Athletics on Monday, was placed on the DL for the third time this season Friday with a strained abdominal muscle.
The A’s acquired Jackson from the Diamondbacks on June to step in as their starting left fielder, but he’s played in just 18 games since, hitting .228/.362/.316 with five RBI.
After Jackson’s previous injury, the A’s opted to give top prospect Chris Carter a look in left field. Carter, though, was sent down to make room for Jackson on Monday and wasn’t brought back following a very rough week in the majors. Jeff Larish was recalled instead.
That would seem to suggest that Travis Buck could get a look in the outfield to see if he should be in Oakland’s plans for 2011. Buck hit .288/.377/.474 in 285 at-bats as a 23-year-old rookie in 2007, but he’s been used sparingly by the A’s since due to injuries and ineffectiveness.
If Buck can establish himself, it’s far less likely that Jackson will be invited back next year. Jackson is making $3.1 million this season, so he’s likely to be non-tendered this winter, though he could always be re-signed at a lesser price.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 7
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)