Aug 20, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
The day had not gone well for Atlanta. New first baseman Derrek Lee was 0 for 4 with a couple of strikeouts. Melky Cabrera’s adventures in left field had led to a couple of Cubs runs. The Braves’ bats just weren’t able to do a hell of a lot against Ryan Dempster. Facing Carlos Marmol in the ninth seemed like a mere formality. But then . . .
Martin Prado, Brian McCann and Alex Gonzalez walked. In between, Lee and Melky struck out. Bases loaded, two down, Rick Ankiel up to the plate. The count went to 2-2 . . . Braves down to their last strike and . . . Ankiel triples to right field. 5-3 Braves, which is where things ended after Billy Wagner closed it out. Since they were tempting The Fates by relying on Ankiel to be a hero they should have tried to be really macho and close it out with Farnsworth, but no one ever listens to me.
I’m obviously excited because I’m a big fanboy. But even if you’re not a fanboy you can’t help but marvel at what the Braves are doing this year. Unless I’m missing one or two, that’s the 3.675th time they’ve come from behind in the ninth this season. They’re living on the edge and it’s been pretty entertaining stuff.
Well, Phillies fans probably aren’t marveling. And today Cubs fans aren’t. But you see what I’m getting at.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 10
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)