Aug 20, 2010, 3:03 PM EST
We’ve all been talking about the difficulty of the Roger Clemens-Brian McNamee he-said-he-said game, but at least one prominent member of the congressional committee that led to this mess said that the key to the referral to the U.S. Attorney’s office (which eventually led to the indictment) was Andy Pettitte’s testimony:
Andy Pettitte’s sworn statement that Roger Clemens admitted using human growth hormone was a critical factor in a federal
grand jury’s decision to indict Clemens on charges he lied to Congress,
according to the top Republican on the House committee that held a 2008
hearing on performance-enhancing substances in baseball.
“If it was just Roger versus [Brian] McNamee, it’s a different
matchup . . . Without Pettitte,
neither McNamee nor Clemens was that articulate or credible.”
That top Republican is former Rep. Tom Davis of Virgina, speaking to Ian O’Connor of ESPNNewYork.
Andy Pettitte, it’s worth noting, is not having a great week. His groin won’t heal, for one thing. And now he’s coming to grips with the fact that the experience he so obviously dreaded back in 2007-08 is coming back again, and with it his need to testify.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 26
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)