Aug 20, 2010, 3:03 PM EDT
We’ve all been talking about the difficulty of the Roger Clemens-Brian McNamee he-said-he-said game, but at least one prominent member of the congressional committee that led to this mess said that the key to the referral to the U.S. Attorney’s office (which eventually led to the indictment) was Andy Pettitte’s testimony:
Andy Pettitte’s sworn statement that Roger Clemens admitted using human growth hormone was a critical factor in a federal
grand jury’s decision to indict Clemens on charges he lied to Congress,
according to the top Republican on the House committee that held a 2008
hearing on performance-enhancing substances in baseball.
“If it was just Roger versus [Brian] McNamee, it’s a different
matchup . . . Without Pettitte,
neither McNamee nor Clemens was that articulate or credible.”
That top Republican is former Rep. Tom Davis of Virgina, speaking to Ian O’Connor of ESPNNewYork.
Andy Pettitte, it’s worth noting, is not having a great week. His groin won’t heal, for one thing. And now he’s coming to grips with the fact that the experience he so obviously dreaded back in 2007-08 is coming back again, and with it his need to testify.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)