Aug 20, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Joe Torre is going to announce his career intentions around Labor Day. My guess is that he’s going to retire. Everyone’s assumption is that Don Mattingly is the heir apparent. Bob Nightengale says think again:
The assumption is that Don Mattingly is heir apparent to replace Joe Torre,but AAA manager Tim Wallach is looming as favorite.
He doesn’t give us any additional context, but knowing how Nightengale rolls (i.e. pretty responsibly and reliably), I’m going to assume this is based on conversations with Dodgers front office people.
The advantage of Wallach over Mattingly? Managerial experience, I’d presume. I don’t want to overstate Mattingly’s recent gaffes as fill-in skipper — they were kind of freaky things — but you can’t ignore them either. More importantly you can’t ignore the growing sense around baseball that front offices prefer guys with some experience running a team. First-time manager stock is at an ebb these days.
Wallach has been the skipper of the Dodgers’ AAA team for a couple of years now. He was the PCL manager of the year last year. Maybe more importantly, he was more directly hired by the Dodgers front office than Mattingly — who sort of came as a package deal with Torre — really was. If Torre goes, so goes Mattingly’s biggest backer, one presumes.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (96)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)