Aug 20, 2010, 7:32 PM EDT
The player to be named in the Austin Kearns deal was announced Friday, and the Indians ended up acquiring right-hander Zach McAllister from the Bombers to complete the deal.
I’ve always viewed McAllister as an overrated prospect, but he’s a nice return for someone who had no place in Cleveland’s future plans. The 22-year-old was 8-10 with a 5.09 ERA, 165 H and 88/38 K/BB in 132 2/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season.
Baseball America rated McAllister as the Yankees’ No. 5 prospect entering 2010. That came after he posted a 2.09 ERA for two A-ball teams in 2009 and a 2.23 ERA in 22 Double-A starts last year.
McAllister, though, has gotten fewer groundballs with each step he’s taken up the ladder. He’s actually been a modest flyball pitcher the last two years, and he hasn’t countered that by picking up more strikeouts. After surrendering just four homers in 2009, he’s given up 20 this year.
McAllister does have good command, and if he goes back to relying more on his sinking fastball, he could have a chance of making it as a fourth or fifth starter. He wasn’t on that path in the Yankee system, though.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 43
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights