Aug 20, 2010, 7:32 PM EST
The player to be named in the Austin Kearns deal was announced Friday, and the Indians ended up acquiring right-hander Zach McAllister from the Bombers to complete the deal.
I’ve always viewed McAllister as an overrated prospect, but he’s a nice return for someone who had no place in Cleveland’s future plans. The 22-year-old was 8-10 with a 5.09 ERA, 165 H and 88/38 K/BB in 132 2/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season.
Baseball America rated McAllister as the Yankees’ No. 5 prospect entering 2010. That came after he posted a 2.09 ERA for two A-ball teams in 2009 and a 2.23 ERA in 22 Double-A starts last year.
McAllister, though, has gotten fewer groundballs with each step he’s taken up the ladder. He’s actually been a modest flyball pitcher the last two years, and he hasn’t countered that by picking up more strikeouts. After surrendering just four homers in 2009, he’s given up 20 this year.
McAllister does have good command, and if he goes back to relying more on his sinking fastball, he could have a chance of making it as a fourth or fifth starter. He wasn’t on that path in the Yankee system, though.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)