Aug 20, 2010, 7:32 PM EDT
The player to be named in the Austin Kearns deal was announced Friday, and the Indians ended up acquiring right-hander Zach McAllister from the Bombers to complete the deal.
I’ve always viewed McAllister as an overrated prospect, but he’s a nice return for someone who had no place in Cleveland’s future plans. The 22-year-old was 8-10 with a 5.09 ERA, 165 H and 88/38 K/BB in 132 2/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season.
Baseball America rated McAllister as the Yankees’ No. 5 prospect entering 2010. That came after he posted a 2.09 ERA for two A-ball teams in 2009 and a 2.23 ERA in 22 Double-A starts last year.
McAllister, though, has gotten fewer groundballs with each step he’s taken up the ladder. He’s actually been a modest flyball pitcher the last two years, and he hasn’t countered that by picking up more strikeouts. After surrendering just four homers in 2009, he’s given up 20 this year.
McAllister does have good command, and if he goes back to relying more on his sinking fastball, he could have a chance of making it as a fourth or fifth starter. He wasn’t on that path in the Yankee system, though.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)