Aug 20, 2010, 7:32 PM EDT
The player to be named in the Austin Kearns deal was announced Friday, and the Indians ended up acquiring right-hander Zach McAllister from the Bombers to complete the deal.
I’ve always viewed McAllister as an overrated prospect, but he’s a nice return for someone who had no place in Cleveland’s future plans. The 22-year-old was 8-10 with a 5.09 ERA, 165 H and 88/38 K/BB in 132 2/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season.
Baseball America rated McAllister as the Yankees’ No. 5 prospect entering 2010. That came after he posted a 2.09 ERA for two A-ball teams in 2009 and a 2.23 ERA in 22 Double-A starts last year.
McAllister, though, has gotten fewer groundballs with each step he’s taken up the ladder. He’s actually been a modest flyball pitcher the last two years, and he hasn’t countered that by picking up more strikeouts. After surrendering just four homers in 2009, he’s given up 20 this year.
McAllister does have good command, and if he goes back to relying more on his sinking fastball, he could have a chance of making it as a fourth or fifth starter. He wasn’t on that path in the Yankee system, though.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (93)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)