Marlins catcher Ronny Paulino suspended 50 games for PEDs

Aug 20, 2010, 3:19 PM EDT

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Marlins catcher Ronny Paulino has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Numerous minor leaguers have been suspended for PED usage this year, but Paulino and Edinson Volquez are the only major leaguers to get the 50-game ban. Last season Manny Ramirez and J.C. Romero were two big leaguers suspended.

Paulino began this season as the Marlins’ backup catcher, but was forced into the lineup thanks to John Baker’s elbow injury and has started 84 of the team’s 120 games while hitting .259/.311/.354 with four homers in 344 plate appearances.

Baker is slated to return from the disabled list by the end of this month and in the meantime the Marlins will likely lean on 26-year-old rookie Brett Hayes as their primary backstop. And because there are only 42 games remaining on the Marlins’ schedule, Paulino’s suspension will carry over to the first eight games of next season.

UPDATE: Paulino issued a statement saying that he tested positive for “a dietary pill” used “to control my weight this season.” He also apologized:

I recently learned that the dietary pill contained a substance banned under Major League Baseball’s drug policy. I am ashamed and saddened for disappointing and distracting my family, my teammates, the entire Florida Marlins’ organization, and baseball fans. My heartfelt and most sincere apology.

I accept full responsibility and all consequences for this mistake and therefore, choose not to challenge my suspension. I was irresponsible for failing to take all precautionary steps in confirming the approval of the dietary pill. Without a doubt, I have learned from my mistake.

I know we’ll all sleep better tonight knowing Ronny Paulino and his gut are off the street. Or something.

1. APBA Guy - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Ok, he has a .665 OPS. Exactly where was the “enhancement” in performance enhancement?

2. SouthofHeaven - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Well this proves that A-Rod is a monster, because obviously PEDs helped Ronny Paulino achieve such insane numbers!

3. hnirobert - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Imagine his numbers without them!

4. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I agree. What we’re seeing is the chemical equivalent of the Joe McCarthy witch hunt days. It’s getting so a guy can’t even take a leak anymore.

5. birdmancometh - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Zing!

6. birdmancometh - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:47 PM

On second thought Craig, maybe PED’s DO help you hit home runs…….

7. Kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM

“….knowing Ronny Paulino and his gut are off the street”
    When is glass houses Aaron…

8. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Are there any crickets in New Zealand? I thought there were just wetas, also known as “tuatara chow.”

9. Kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Ahhh the Weta…..surely one of natures ugliest children. (Second only to the ‘Kevinis Youkili’ from the surrounding Boston area I believe)
    If you ever manage to witness a Tuatara eating, you are a very, very lucky man indeed. Been round since before the dinosaurs and probably had 4 meals combined since. And they wonder why they are endangered.
    +10 for antipodean cultural interests Old Gator.

10. Kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2010 at 4:50 PM

We in British colonies have crickets and grasshoppers. “Locust” just sounds to demanding I would imagine

11. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM

We in the Spanish colonies have fire ants, scorpions and vinegaroons (the latter of which could even give Kevin Youkilis a run for his dinero feo). It’s not Nake Jungle but sometimes it’s not entirely unlike a Skinimax softcore remake of Them.

12. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Saw a few newly hatched tuataras at a museum/nature preserve somewhere on the road between Christchurch and Wellington once. Cute little buggers, who have definitely earned the give-a-shit attitude they seemed to have. But at least regional chauvanism hasn’t completely warped your judgment and you can freely admit that Kevin Youkilis is, indeed, uglier than a weta (after which, I see, Peter Jackson has named his production company – which reminds me, it’s a thunderstormy Friday night in Macondo and I haven’t watched Meet the Feebles in about two weeks).

13. JBerardi - Aug 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Without cheaters like Ronny Paulino, the record books would still have integrity…

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4025)