Aug 20, 2010, 3:19 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Marlins catcher Ronny Paulino has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.
Numerous minor leaguers have been suspended for PED usage this year, but Paulino and Edinson Volquez are the only major leaguers to get the 50-game ban. Last season Manny Ramirez and J.C. Romero were two big leaguers suspended.
Paulino began this season as the Marlins’ backup catcher, but was forced into the lineup thanks to John Baker’s elbow injury and has started 84 of the team’s 120 games while hitting .259/.311/.354 with four homers in 344 plate appearances.
Baker is slated to return from the disabled list by the end of this month and in the meantime the Marlins will likely lean on 26-year-old rookie Brett Hayes as their primary backstop. And because there are only 42 games remaining on the Marlins’ schedule, Paulino’s suspension will carry over to the first eight games of next season.
UPDATE: Paulino issued a statement saying that he tested positive for “a dietary pill” used “to control my weight this season.” He also apologized:
I recently learned that the dietary pill contained a substance banned under Major League Baseball’s drug policy. I am ashamed and saddened for disappointing and distracting my family, my teammates, the entire Florida Marlins’ organization, and baseball fans. My heartfelt and most sincere apology.
I accept full responsibility and all consequences for this mistake and therefore, choose not to challenge my suspension. I was irresponsible for failing to take all precautionary steps in confirming the approval of the dietary pill. Without a doubt, I have learned from my mistake.
I know we’ll all sleep better tonight knowing Ronny Paulino and his gut are off the street. Or something.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)