Aug 20, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies was arrested in Florida and charged with cocaine possession.
According to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times he was arrested at 1:10 a.m. and released at 10:52 a.m. after posting a $2,000 bond.
Gillies, who is legally deaf and wears a hearing aid, was one of three prospects acquired from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee trade this offseason.
He hasn’t played in two months because of a hamstring injury and prior to the injury the 21-year-old center fielder hit just .238/.286/.333 in 28 games at Double-A after batting .341 at high Single-A last year.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Gillies was arrested at a La Quinta Inn in Clearwater, which is near the Phillies’ spring training complex.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)