Aug 20, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies was arrested in Florida and charged with cocaine possession.
According to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times he was arrested at 1:10 a.m. and released at 10:52 a.m. after posting a $2,000 bond.
Gillies, who is legally deaf and wears a hearing aid, was one of three prospects acquired from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee trade this offseason.
He hasn’t played in two months because of a hamstring injury and prior to the injury the 21-year-old center fielder hit just .238/.286/.333 in 28 games at Double-A after batting .341 at high Single-A last year.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Gillies was arrested at a La Quinta Inn in Clearwater, which is near the Phillies’ spring training complex.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)