Aug 20, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies was arrested in Florida and charged with cocaine possession.
According to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times he was arrested at 1:10 a.m. and released at 10:52 a.m. after posting a $2,000 bond.
Gillies, who is legally deaf and wears a hearing aid, was one of three prospects acquired from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee trade this offseason.
He hasn’t played in two months because of a hamstring injury and prior to the injury the 21-year-old center fielder hit just .238/.286/.333 in 28 games at Double-A after batting .341 at high Single-A last year.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Gillies was arrested at a La Quinta Inn in Clearwater, which is near the Phillies’ spring training complex.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)