Aug 20, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies was arrested in Florida and charged with cocaine possession.
According to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times he was arrested at 1:10 a.m. and released at 10:52 a.m. after posting a $2,000 bond.
Gillies, who is legally deaf and wears a hearing aid, was one of three prospects acquired from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee trade this offseason.
He hasn’t played in two months because of a hamstring injury and prior to the injury the 21-year-old center fielder hit just .238/.286/.333 in 28 games at Double-A after batting .341 at high Single-A last year.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Gillies was arrested at a La Quinta Inn in Clearwater, which is near the Phillies’ spring training complex.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)