Quote of the Day: Roger Clemens defends himself

Aug 20, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

Deep Thought: if Twitter had been popular in late 2007, Clemens may have just issued a quickie denial everyone could have processed and ignored and he could have gone on with his life.

I never took HGH or Steroids. And I did not lie to Congress. I look
forward to challenging the Governments accusations, and hope people will
keep an open mind until trial. I appreciate all the support I have been
getting. I am happy to finally have my day in court.

Roger Clemens, taking to Twitter in response to yesterday’s indictment.

Good luck with that “people keeping an open mind” thing, Roger.

1. Simon DelMonte - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM

While I think he did steroids, I also do have an open mind. Mainly because sometimes people who defend themselves to this degree really are innocent. Then again, Floyd Landis was almost as determined. Right till the day he came clean about being dirty.
    Also, McNamee is a biased witness. There is room for reasonable doubt, if nothing else.

2. YANKEES1996 - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Let your indictment serve as a good lesson Roger, when being investigated TELL THE TRUTH!

3. jznmom - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? The media is trying this man before he has his day in court. He says that he didn’t do it and he hasn’t been convicted so how can he be charged with pergury already?

4. Fenway West - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM

You left out the best part. At the end of the quote he signed it “Rocket” not Roger “Clemens.”

5. BC - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM

If they had Youtube in 1998, we’d know whether he was at Canseco’s party or not.

6. Paper Lions - Aug 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I had an open mind, until I saw his performance at the hearing. There were so many outlandish and obvious lies that a 6 yr old would have been embarrassed by the performance. He was so logically inconsistent, that it was hard to tell if he was telling the truth about anything or if he even has the ability to distinguish truth from fabrication.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win