Aug 20, 2010, 9:11 AM EST
The Pirates loss to the Marlins last night was loss number 81. Which means the next loss will be loss 82, sealing their 18th straight losing season. We knew it was coming, but we know most milestones are coming and we still celebrate them anyway.
As Dejan Kovacevic notes, this marks the earliest point in a season in which the Pirates have locked in the losing season during their dubious run. They’re on pace to lose 109 games.
At some point soon — probably within the next year or two — the Pirates are going to have players on the active big league roster who weren’t alive the last time the team finished above .500.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)