Aug 20, 2010, 9:11 AM EST
The Pirates loss to the Marlins last night was loss number 81. Which means the next loss will be loss 82, sealing their 18th straight losing season. We knew it was coming, but we know most milestones are coming and we still celebrate them anyway.
As Dejan Kovacevic notes, this marks the earliest point in a season in which the Pirates have locked in the losing season during their dubious run. They’re on pace to lose 109 games.
At some point soon — probably within the next year or two — the Pirates are going to have players on the active big league roster who weren’t alive the last time the team finished above .500.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)