The Reds receive permission to honor Pete Rose

Aug 20, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT

And that's a good thing. But the fact that the Reds have to ask for permission bugs me. I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see a limited reinstatement of the Hit King.

The reason for the honor: the upcoming 25th anniversary of Rose breaking Ty Cobb’s all-time hit record.  Because of the ban, special dispensation was required:

Reds CEO Bob Castellini received the OK to honor Rose from Commissioner Bud Selig.

“The
Reds are celebrating every phase of the 25th anniversary. We approved
the request on a one-time basis,” Major League Baseball spokesman
Patrick Courtney said.

I have no doubt that (a) the game will sell out; and; (b) the crowd will go absolutely nuts with love for Rose. They adore the guy in the Queen City. Which makes me once again question the parameters of Rose’s ban and roll my eyes that the Reds need baseball’s permission to honor Rose like this.

If I were baseball’s philosopher king, I’d still keep Rose banned from holding a substantive position in the game because I don’t think he should be near actual competition. I don’t want him managing. I don’t want him working with young players. I don’t want him doing anything that could even conceivably impact the actual contesting of baseball games.

But the fact that Rose can’t work in promotions or p.r. or charity is kind of a shame. He’s still a huge celebrity in Cincinnati. He could — if properly supervised — do wonders for promoting the Reds. For drumming up interest and support in team charities. He could be a really effective team ambassador if given the chance.

Not that he’s really done anything to earn it, of course. There isn’t a thing he’s done in the past 20 years that cries out for baseball to give him a break.  But it has been a long time, and even if Rose never really learned his lesson out of all of this, there’s a lot of good he could do for the fans and the public. I wouldn’t give him a partial reinstatement for his own sake. I’d do it in spite of him for what I can imagine would be the greater good.  I’d think of it as baseball’s version of community service.

I do wonder, however, if Rose would even take the chance for such a thing if offered. He probably still thinks he should be managing or working in the front office or something, and that’s just not a good idea given his history and addictions.  And he probably would bristle at sensible conditions placed on him such as “hey Pete — if you’re gonna work for the Reds, we can’t have you signing women’s boobs at second-rate casino meet-and-greets, OK?”

Which is what Pete Rose will actually be doing on the actual anniversary of his record-breaking hit this year. The Reds are moving the celebration to the next day — September 12th — to accommodate Charlie Hustle’s hustling career.

1. Kevin S. - Aug 20, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I wouldn’t even allow Rose to work for the team in any capacity, but baseball’s policy of selectively ignoring the accomplishments of one of its fairly major players is simply foolish. If baseball can lift his ban for the 25th anniversary of the record, they can lift the ban on his HOF eligibility and put him in a museum honoring baseball’s rich history, which he was a key part of.

2. hermitfool - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:18 AM

“there’s a lot of good he could do for the fans and the public.” Pete Rose has never shown any interest in doing good for anyone but himself. Is there a shred of evidence he’s changed his stripes?

3. RedsDouche - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM

So he bet on the Reds to win a game while he was managing. Yeah it was wrong. But it’s not like he could do anything extra to be sure of a win on their part. Now if he were to bet on them losing and then put out bench players everywhere, that’s a whole different story. I guess gambling on the game is worse in the eyes of the commish than doing illegal drugs and CHEATING with HGH. I don’t see a lifetime ban being slapped on Clemmons, Canseco, McGwire or Sosa. Hell, McGwire is a damn hitting coach for christ’s sake. He cheated with HGH to achieve higher accomplishments offensively and now he’s a hitting coach. That’s a heck of a role model. Irony at it’s best. Seriously, MLB is ass backwards.

4. RedsDouche - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I understand being a manager and betting on a game that you’re going to be managing is a big deal. I get that. BUT, he bet that they were going to win the game. There was nothing more he can do than put his best players on the field and hope for a win. Now if he were to bet on losing the game and then put his bench players out, that’s a whole other story.
    Now, can we put into perspective on how ass backwards the MLB is? They don’t put any lifetime bans down on players who cheated to improve their game. Yet they put a lifetime ban on a manager who bet on a game. Make sense? Not at all. For christ’s sake, McGwire, Canseceo, Sosa, Bonds and Clemmons (the list goes on and on but those are the big names) used illegal drugs to improve their game. Yet no bans on them? McGwire used these drugs to improve his hitting game but now he’s allowed to be a hitting coach to players? Really? What kind of role model is that? That’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen and only shows how low the Cardinal organization really is for hiring a cheater to teach their young players the game. MLB is ass backwards.

5. RedsDouche - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Sorry about the double comment. I didn’t think I was logged in on the first one so I logged in and posted again only to see the first one posted as well. Sorry guys.

6. BC - Aug 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM

On your first point – WRONG! EPIC FAIL!
    So say he bets on a Reds game that he’s managing. If he had 5 grand on a game in July against the Expos, he’d manage it like the 7th game of the World Series. Pull his starter after an inning if it doesn’t look like he has it. Burn the bullpen out, do whatever he needs to do to win the game at all costs. And by doing that, you affect the next game or two after that given that you’ve depleted your team.
    On your second point, I do agree with you though that having McGwire in the game and not allowing Rose in the game is hypocrisy. Although at this point I think Rose would tell MLB to go eff themselves if they offered him a job. He’s just that kind of guy.

7. RedsDouche - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I’m not sure I saw anything about him managing that game differently than he had been. Yes he COULD have done that but I don’t believe he did. But nice try though.

8. JustTheFactsMa'am - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM

RedsD*
    You make some good points, and in a debate might score. However the facts are, Mr. Rose knew the rules. He knew the consequences for breaking the rules. He was not the frist to get a lifetime ban for breaking the rules. You break the rules, you suffer the consequences. Perhaps they should change the rules to include Mr. McGwire and others, but that is not the point here. Mr. Rose broke the rules, he knew what the coensquences would be and he found out he was not above the rules. End of story, as it should be.

9. The Common Man - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Actually, do we have a list of games that we know Rose bet on? That would be an incredibly interesting study, I think, to see if he managed those differently. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I have no idea just how often he bet on his own team.

10. RedsDouche - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM

And I don’t argue those facts whatsoever. However, I feel that it’s a personal thing against Rose that old Bart had and now the commish is continuing it on for Bart. Any other player does this who has the accomplishments Rose has in the game, after this long the ban is lifted and they’re allowed in the HOF. Guaranteed. But since it’s Rose, not gonna happen. I’ll continue to argue the fact that I feel athletes are role models for kids and young ball players and I feel the illegal drug issue in the game is a much heavier issue to the MLB than Rose betting on a game(s). I’ll continue to feel the MLB is backwards and very selective as to who they want to punish and for what reasons.

11. Richm2257 - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Folks, you are taking the word of a known LIAR that he only bet on his own team to win.
    How many years did Rose “swear” that he didn’t bet on baseball AT ALL?????
    He was a great ballplayer, I’ll give him that, but he has done nothing to bring honor back to his reputation since he dirtied it himself in the first place. He knew the rules, he broke them. Stop your crying, Pete. There’s no crying in baseball!

12. Bill - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame NOW he set records and played his ass off to become one
    of the Greatest fielders and hitters that ever played in Baseball. Pete would make a great Manager
    or coach, because he knows more about baseball than the tinhornes that run the league today.
    Pete could bet on anything, but so does everyone else, he just ticked the wrong people and they
    used their bet money to blackball him.
    I will never go to the hall of fame because it discriminates between real athletes, and would be’s
    wksleepy

13. JustTheFactsMa'am - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

RedsD*
    I don’t think MLB is being selective at all. I don’t believe anyone who has ever received a lifetime ban for gambling has ever been reinstated.

14. Dasher521 - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I grew up admiring Pete Rose and emulating how he played the game. I tried to play the game like Rose. I emulated him because, like Rose, I didn’t have the natural talent other kids had. So I outhustled them. He brought the Phillies to their only World Series win (at the time). I was grateful for that. I also found out that maybe he wasn’t such a good human being. It is the Baseball Hall of Fame, not the Humanitarian Hall of Fame. There are many enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame who would never make the Humanitariam Hall of Fame. The rules of entry to the Baseball Hall of Fame were also changed after his being placed in the inelibible list. Yes, he broke the cardinal rule posted in every clubhouse from the “Black Sox” days. However, steroids in baseball were far more detrimental to the “best interests in the game” than any action Pete Rose committed by betting on baseball games. So allow Rose to participate when it benefits MLB (as they did before), but don’t allow him in the HofF. Huge hypocracy! Pete Rose is no longer someone that I can admire. But Pete Rose belongs in the Baseball Hall of Fame and should be allowed to participate in Reds and baseball promotions. In the best “interests of the game” remove him from the inelibile list conditionally on his not being allowed to participate in any of the games. (And how about placing on the ineligible list those who used steriods.)

15. SadPandaRevolt - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Yep. They’re all out to get him. He broke THE rule of baseball. The rule that everyone knows gets you banned for life, and its a personal vendetta that got him banned for life. Riiiiight.

16. Randall - Aug 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Baseball needs to get off Pete’s back. Unban him, forbid any positions that deal directly w/ players, and let him have his place in the Hall. Or forbid any position, whatever. There are people in the HoF who did far worse than bet on themselves to win. Pete ran out walks FFS, and odds are he never used roids. If the all-time hits leader, who didn’t cheat, isn’t in the HoF, why open the doors?

17. rgray - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM

MLB CANNOT lift the ban on Pete’s Hall of Fame eligibility. The HOF is a separate legal entity from MLB. Rose retired at the end of th 1986 season leaving him eligible for the HOF in 5 years. In 1989, he was placed on MLB’s ineligible list. In 1991 and the year BEFORE he would become HOF-eligible for the first time, the HOF amended its election rules with the following rule 3E: “Any player on Baseball’s ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.” Their only reason to amend the rules was to keep Rose’s name from coming up for election. When I toured the HOF, I discovered they proudly boast of their legal separation from MLB. So why are they worried about the MLB ineligibility list?

18. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Go read the list of people on the HoF’s board. They include Bud Selig, Bob DuPuy, etc. They care deeply what MLB does and vice-versa.

19. Mariann Pepitone - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM

He should only have been penalized for five years and no longer. How about Michael Vick hanging and shooting dogs. That was much worse than what Pete Rose did and they took him back after two and one half years. Vick should never have been allowed to play in football until he served at least five years in prison. This commissioner should call it a day and allow him back in baseball if he allowed Vick.

20. Mariann Pepitone - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM

You are so right and the commissioner of baseball us lift the ban on Pete Rose. If the commissioner of football alloed Michael Vick to play again after what he did to those dogs then Pete Rose should be able to manage a team or coach some of the players. Michael Vick hung and shot dogs for no reason and he is playing football which he should be banned. So there is no reason in the game of baseball that Rose should be denied a second chance.

21. Mariann Pepitone - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM

At the time Pete Rose bet on baseball thousands of people were placing bets at that time. Its no big deal on what team you are betting on. How many baseball players are on steroids and have not been caught yet. And what is the big deal about steroids. Its not like their using cocaine. The commissioner of baseball needs to lighten up and abolish that ban on Pete Rose. So he made a mistake. How many players have made mistakes in baseball. Get a grip commissioner and do the right thing.

22. Mariann Pepitone - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM

If Pete Rose bet on his team to win what is the big deal. Its only a bet on baseball no matter whose team he bet on. The commissioner needs to sit down with Rose and have a heart to heart talk with him instead of denying him to ever manager baseball or enter the park again. Players have done much worse than Pete Rose and are still playing the game. I forgot the player’s name that passed Aaron’s home run record. He was using steroids like their going out of style and nothing happened to him. He still kept playing baseball and the commission didn’t stop him. Now that’s what I call picking and choosing who can play and who can’t play again.

23. SadPandaRevolt - Aug 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

“No Gambling” was not an invented rule to run Pete Rose out of the game. It’s been in place for decades. Pete Rose knew that when he gambled from the clubhouse. He also knew what the punishment would be if he ever got caught. He got caught, they gave the punishment that is on the books. Pete Rose has no one to blame but himself, especially considering he spent about 20 years lying his ass off about this.

24. schmedley - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I’ve been saying this for years. Pete shouldn’t be allowed to hold any kind of position of authority in baseball (where he could potentially alter the outcome of a game), but he should be allowed to attend ceremonies and he should be eligible for the HOF. Let the Veteran’s Committee decide if he should be in the hall or not. The guy was a hell of a player and you can’t pretend that his career never happened.

25. Largebill - Aug 23, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Randall,
    Baseball is not on Rose’ back.

Three legends off to Cooperstown