UPDATE: Yankees place Alex Rodriguez on disabled list

Aug 21, 2010, 4:27 PM EDT

UPDATE: According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, the Yankees have decided to place Alex Rodriguez on the disabled list due to his lingering right calf injury.

“We’re going to play it safe,” Joe Girardi said. “We don’t think he’s any worse than the time before.”

Barring a trade, Eduardo Nunez, who notched his first major league hit — a go-ahead single in today’s 9-5 win over the Mariners — and Ramiro Pena figure to fill in at third base during his absence.

23-year-old right-hander Ivan Nova will take A-Rod’s place on the active roster and start against the Blue Jays on Monday.

8:42 AM: Alex Rodriguez was back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter on Friday night after missing three straight games with a right calf injury, however he was only able to make it through one at-bat before being pulled.

According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Rodriguez said he felt something when he grounded out to third base in the third inning.

“My swing, and probably that first step out of the box, I felt
something,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t think it’s any worse [than before].
I think it’s probably the same.”

If you watched the game or saw the replay, it looked like there was some obvious discomfort as soon as he prepared to run to first base. He actually stayed in the game until Austin Kearns pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the fourth.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Rodriguez will probably miss the next few days, however he doesn’t believe he will need a trip to the disabled list. No further tests have been scheduled.

After the Yanks are done with the Mariners this weekend, they’ll travel to Toronto for a three-game series beginning Monday. One would think we’d have to see some rapid improvement for him to play on artificial turf.

1. Ditto65 - Aug 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Can you believe this guy? After riding the pine as a prima donna who can’t play through the pain, he tries to play hurt and aggravates his injury, forcing Girardi to make unexpected substitutions.
    ME ME ME spells A-Rod.

2. Proudly Canadian - Aug 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I guess that I can write off my fantasy team. I started the season with Rodriguez, Morneau, Kinsler, Sizemore and Nelson Cruz. All of them are currently on the DL and Posada is being held together with duct tape.

3. Ditto65 - Aug 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Do NOT let him go to Canada.

4. Proudly Canadian - Aug 22, 2010 at 7:04 AM

I like the pitching matchups for the Jays/Yankees series next week. With Rodriguez on the DL, a sweep by the Jays is quite possible.

5. SouthofHeaven - Aug 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Not that I EVER want to see someone hurt, but this could be a blessing in disguise for the Yankees, in that I’ve seen Ivan Nova pitch a couple times in Scranton, and he’s absolutely dominating. He could be just what they need to get out of this AJ/Javi rut.

6. Mrsteve - Aug 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM

He has less homers in 2 years combined than he did in Texas when he won the MVP while Roided to the gills. Go back on them GayRod.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4139)