Aug 21, 2010, 4:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, the Yankees have decided to place Alex Rodriguez on the disabled list due to his lingering right calf injury.
“We’re going to play it safe,” Joe Girardi said. “We don’t think he’s any worse than the time before.”
Barring a trade, Eduardo Nunez, who notched his first major league hit — a go-ahead single in today’s 9-5 win over the Mariners — and Ramiro Pena figure to fill in at third base during his absence.
23-year-old right-hander Ivan Nova will take A-Rod’s place on the active roster and start against the Blue Jays on Monday.
8:42 AM: Alex Rodriguez was back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter on Friday night after missing three straight games with a right calf injury, however he was only able to make it through one at-bat before being pulled.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Rodriguez said he felt something when he grounded out to third base in the third inning.
“My swing, and probably that first step out of the box, I felt
something,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t think it’s any worse [than before].
I think it’s probably the same.”
If you watched the game or saw the replay, it looked like there was some obvious discomfort as soon as he prepared to run to first base. He actually stayed in the game until Austin Kearns pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the fourth.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Rodriguez will probably miss the next few days, however he doesn’t believe he will need a trip to the disabled list. No further tests have been scheduled.
After the Yanks are done with the Mariners this weekend, they’ll travel to Toronto for a three-game series beginning Monday. One would think we’d have to see some rapid improvement for him to play on artificial turf.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)