Aug 21, 2010, 4:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, the Yankees have decided to place Alex Rodriguez on the disabled list due to his lingering right calf injury.
“We’re going to play it safe,” Joe Girardi said. “We don’t think he’s any worse than the time before.”
Barring a trade, Eduardo Nunez, who notched his first major league hit — a go-ahead single in today’s 9-5 win over the Mariners — and Ramiro Pena figure to fill in at third base during his absence.
23-year-old right-hander Ivan Nova will take A-Rod’s place on the active roster and start against the Blue Jays on Monday.
8:42 AM: Alex Rodriguez was back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter on Friday night after missing three straight games with a right calf injury, however he was only able to make it through one at-bat before being pulled.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Rodriguez said he felt something when he grounded out to third base in the third inning.
“My swing, and probably that first step out of the box, I felt
something,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t think it’s any worse [than before].
I think it’s probably the same.”
If you watched the game or saw the replay, it looked like there was some obvious discomfort as soon as he prepared to run to first base. He actually stayed in the game until Austin Kearns pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the fourth.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Rodriguez will probably miss the next few days, however he doesn’t believe he will need a trip to the disabled list. No further tests have been scheduled.
After the Yanks are done with the Mariners this weekend, they’ll travel to Toronto for a three-game series beginning Monday. One would think we’d have to see some rapid improvement for him to play on artificial turf.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)