Aug 21, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming.
According to Mike Petaglia of WEEI.com, Carlos Delgado was placed on the seven-day disabled list with Triple-A Pawtucket due to continued back soreness unrelated to his surgically-repaired right hip. The 38-year-old slugger was signed to minor league contract two weeks ago. He was 3-for-13 (.231) with two RBI over his first five games with the PawSox, however he has been out of the lineup since August 15 due to the injury.
“I don’t think he got hurt,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “I
think he was sore. I don’t think there’s an injury, per se. I think he’s
just sore and it’s not the side of his repaired hip.”
In fact, according to what Triple-A Pawtucket manager Torey Lovullo told Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Delgado actually tweaked his left side while overcompensating for the injury.
The Red Sox hoped to have Delgado join them when rosters expand on September 1 — he actually has an out-clause if he isn’t on the major league roster by then — but he’s going to have to prove he can stay healthy first.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)