Aug 21, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming.
According to Mike Petaglia of WEEI.com, Carlos Delgado was placed on the seven-day disabled list with Triple-A Pawtucket due to continued back soreness unrelated to his surgically-repaired right hip. The 38-year-old slugger was signed to minor league contract two weeks ago. He was 3-for-13 (.231) with two RBI over his first five games with the PawSox, however he has been out of the lineup since August 15 due to the injury.
“I don’t think he got hurt,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “I
think he was sore. I don’t think there’s an injury, per se. I think he’s
just sore and it’s not the side of his repaired hip.”
In fact, according to what Triple-A Pawtucket manager Torey Lovullo told Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Delgado actually tweaked his left side while overcompensating for the injury.
The Red Sox hoped to have Delgado join them when rosters expand on September 1 — he actually has an out-clause if he isn’t on the major league roster by then — but he’s going to have to prove he can stay healthy first.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)