Aug 21, 2010, 6:01 PM EST
The hits just keep on coming.
According to Mike Petaglia of WEEI.com, Carlos Delgado was placed on the seven-day disabled list with Triple-A Pawtucket due to continued back soreness unrelated to his surgically-repaired right hip. The 38-year-old slugger was signed to minor league contract two weeks ago. He was 3-for-13 (.231) with two RBI over his first five games with the PawSox, however he has been out of the lineup since August 15 due to the injury.
“I don’t think he got hurt,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “I
think he was sore. I don’t think there’s an injury, per se. I think he’s
just sore and it’s not the side of his repaired hip.”
In fact, according to what Triple-A Pawtucket manager Torey Lovullo told Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Delgado actually tweaked his left side while overcompensating for the injury.
The Red Sox hoped to have Delgado join them when rosters expand on September 1 — he actually has an out-clause if he isn’t on the major league roster by then — but he’s going to have to prove he can stay healthy first.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)