Aug 21, 2010, 8:19 AM EDT
UPDATE: After predicting that Jason Bay would not play again this season, Mets manager Jerry Manuel backtracked from those comments after Friday’s game.
“It appears that I was a little premature in saying Jason Bay wouldn’t
be back,” Manuel said. “It appears he is recovering nicely and that
there is a possibility he will be back to play.”
Still, it’s doubtful. Multiple team officials tell Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that Bay’s headaches have yet to subside for a 48-hour period.
Friday, 9:05 pm: This isn’t entirely shocking news, but Mets manager Jerry Manuel told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that he doesn’t expect Jason Bay to return this season.
“That’s the way I see it. I could be way out of line, or way out of bounds. But that’s the way I see it.”
A team official told Rubin that Bay is unable to go 48 hours without a recurrence of concussion-related symptoms. The Mets obviously aren’t going to take any chances with him, especially after the way they botched the Ryan Church situation in 2008.
Bay’s season was already a disappointment even before he crashed face-first into the left field wall in Los Angeles on July 23, but now we can safely call it a full-fledged disaster. If what Manuel says is true, the 31-year-old outfielder wraps up his first year in Queens with a .259/.347/.402 batting line to go along with just six homers and 46 RBI.
Signed to a back-loaded four-year, $66 million contract, Bay is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons. This may sound strange, but I found myself rooting against his $17 million option vesting for 2014 from the moment he signed with the Mets over the winter. Now I’m hoping it actually happens. If it does, that means he would have managed to get back on the field and hopefully, continue to be a productive player. What can I say, I’m all about redemption.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)