Aug 21, 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, LaTroy Hawkins will undergo exploratory surgery on his right shoulder next Friday.
Hawkins was recently placed on the disabled list with shoulder fatigue for the second time this season. He finally opted for surgery after undergoing a second MRI on Friday. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum.
“I’ve got some fraying in the rotator cuff and the labrum needs a
cleanup,” said Hawkins. “It’s always wear and tear (in a pitcher’s
shoulder). He said some pitchers can pitch with it and some can’t.”
If it’s just a clean-up, as Hawkins hopes, he would be looking a three-month recovery time, however if repairs are needed, it could be much longer. Not the best news for someone who turns 38 in December.
The veteran right-hander has made just 18 appearances with the Brewers this season, posting an 8.44 ERA and 1.69 WHIP over 16 innings. Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract during the offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)