Aug 21, 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, LaTroy Hawkins will undergo exploratory surgery on his right shoulder next Friday.
Hawkins was recently placed on the disabled list with shoulder fatigue for the second time this season. He finally opted for surgery after undergoing a second MRI on Friday. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum.
“I’ve got some fraying in the rotator cuff and the labrum needs a
cleanup,” said Hawkins. “It’s always wear and tear (in a pitcher’s
shoulder). He said some pitchers can pitch with it and some can’t.”
If it’s just a clean-up, as Hawkins hopes, he would be looking a three-month recovery time, however if repairs are needed, it could be much longer. Not the best news for someone who turns 38 in December.
The veteran right-hander has made just 18 appearances with the Brewers this season, posting an 8.44 ERA and 1.69 WHIP over 16 innings. Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract during the offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69