Aug 21, 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, LaTroy Hawkins will undergo exploratory surgery on his right shoulder next Friday.
Hawkins was recently placed on the disabled list with shoulder fatigue for the second time this season. He finally opted for surgery after undergoing a second MRI on Friday. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum.
“I’ve got some fraying in the rotator cuff and the labrum needs a
cleanup,” said Hawkins. “It’s always wear and tear (in a pitcher’s
shoulder). He said some pitchers can pitch with it and some can’t.”
If it’s just a clean-up, as Hawkins hopes, he would be looking a three-month recovery time, however if repairs are needed, it could be much longer. Not the best news for someone who turns 38 in December.
The veteran right-hander has made just 18 appearances with the Brewers this season, posting an 8.44 ERA and 1.69 WHIP over 16 innings. Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract during the offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)