Aug 21, 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, LaTroy Hawkins will undergo exploratory surgery on his right shoulder next Friday.
Hawkins was recently placed on the disabled list with shoulder fatigue for the second time this season. He finally opted for surgery after undergoing a second MRI on Friday. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum.
“I’ve got some fraying in the rotator cuff and the labrum needs a
cleanup,” said Hawkins. “It’s always wear and tear (in a pitcher’s
shoulder). He said some pitchers can pitch with it and some can’t.”
If it’s just a clean-up, as Hawkins hopes, he would be looking a three-month recovery time, however if repairs are needed, it could be much longer. Not the best news for someone who turns 38 in December.
The veteran right-hander has made just 18 appearances with the Brewers this season, posting an 8.44 ERA and 1.69 WHIP over 16 innings. Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract during the offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)