Aug 21, 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, LaTroy Hawkins will undergo exploratory surgery on his right shoulder next Friday.
Hawkins was recently placed on the disabled list with shoulder fatigue for the second time this season. He finally opted for surgery after undergoing a second MRI on Friday. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum.
“I’ve got some fraying in the rotator cuff and the labrum needs a
cleanup,” said Hawkins. “It’s always wear and tear (in a pitcher’s
shoulder). He said some pitchers can pitch with it and some can’t.”
If it’s just a clean-up, as Hawkins hopes, he would be looking a three-month recovery time, however if repairs are needed, it could be much longer. Not the best news for someone who turns 38 in December.
The veteran right-hander has made just 18 appearances with the Brewers this season, posting an 8.44 ERA and 1.69 WHIP over 16 innings. Signed to a two-year, $7.5 million contract during the offseason, Hawkins is owed $4 million in 2011.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)