Aug 21, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
The Pirates dropped to 40-82 on the year with a 7-2 loss to the Mets last night, clinching their 18th consecutive losing season. It extends the longest streak in the history of the four major North American professional sports.
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, this is the earliest that the Pirates have reached 82 losses during the 18 years. This year’s team is currently on pace to be 53-109 (.327), which would be the franchise’s worst showing since 1953.
Pirates manager John Russell had a hard time holding back the frustration after Friday’s loss.
“You expect something better every year. Nobody likes to lose this many
games. It [stinks]. Bottom line, it [stinks]. I hate to cuss, but it
does. Nobody likes it. Nobody wants it. But we have to continue to get
these guys better. We have a very young team, and we have to keep
The Pirates spent a franchise-record $11.9 million on the draft, including a $6.5 million signing bonus for No. 2 pick Jameson Taillon and $2.25 million for second-round pick Stetson Allie. They also invested $2.6 million in Mexican pitching prospect Luis Heredia, the biggest bonus the franchise has ever awarded to a international amateur player. There’s some light at the end of this tunnel, but I’m sure it feels a million miles away for Pirates fans right now.
By the way, be sure to read all of Kovacevic’s piece regarding the streak. It’s fantastic.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)