Aug 21, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
The Pirates dropped to 40-82 on the year with a 7-2 loss to the Mets last night, clinching their 18th consecutive losing season. It extends the longest streak in the history of the four major North American professional sports.
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, this is the earliest that the Pirates have reached 82 losses during the 18 years. This year’s team is currently on pace to be 53-109 (.327), which would be the franchise’s worst showing since 1953.
Pirates manager John Russell had a hard time holding back the frustration after Friday’s loss.
“You expect something better every year. Nobody likes to lose this many
games. It [stinks]. Bottom line, it [stinks]. I hate to cuss, but it
does. Nobody likes it. Nobody wants it. But we have to continue to get
these guys better. We have a very young team, and we have to keep
The Pirates spent a franchise-record $11.9 million on the draft, including a $6.5 million signing bonus for No. 2 pick Jameson Taillon and $2.25 million for second-round pick Stetson Allie. They also invested $2.6 million in Mexican pitching prospect Luis Heredia, the biggest bonus the franchise has ever awarded to a international amateur player. There’s some light at the end of this tunnel, but I’m sure it feels a million miles away for Pirates fans right now.
By the way, be sure to read all of Kovacevic’s piece regarding the streak. It’s fantastic.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 14
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 80
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 20
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)