Aug 21, 2010, 11:29 AM EST
The Pirates dropped to 40-82 on the year with a 7-2 loss to the Mets last night, clinching their 18th consecutive losing season. It extends the longest streak in the history of the four major North American professional sports.
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, this is the earliest that the Pirates have reached 82 losses during the 18 years. This year’s team is currently on pace to be 53-109 (.327), which would be the franchise’s worst showing since 1953.
Pirates manager John Russell had a hard time holding back the frustration after Friday’s loss.
“You expect something better every year. Nobody likes to lose this many
games. It [stinks]. Bottom line, it [stinks]. I hate to cuss, but it
does. Nobody likes it. Nobody wants it. But we have to continue to get
these guys better. We have a very young team, and we have to keep
The Pirates spent a franchise-record $11.9 million on the draft, including a $6.5 million signing bonus for No. 2 pick Jameson Taillon and $2.25 million for second-round pick Stetson Allie. They also invested $2.6 million in Mexican pitching prospect Luis Heredia, the biggest bonus the franchise has ever awarded to a international amateur player. There’s some light at the end of this tunnel, but I’m sure it feels a million miles away for Pirates fans right now.
By the way, be sure to read all of Kovacevic’s piece regarding the streak. It’s fantastic.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)