Quote of the day: "Brett Favre's f–d it up for everybody"

Aug 21, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT

Billy Wagner recorded his National League-leading 50th game finished last night, vesting a $6.5 million option for the 2011 season, however he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he’s no Brett Favre:

“I’m retiring. I don’t know how to say it in a
politically correct way, that anybody’s going to believe me.”

“Until I don’t show up next year, nobody’s going to believe me. Brett Favre’s f–ed it up for everybody.”

It’s not like we’d complain if he stuck around. Wagner has an incredible 1.68 ERA, 30 saves and a 77/15 K/BB ratio over 53 2/3 innings this season. With two strikeouts on Friday night, Wagner tied Jesse Orosco for the most strikeouts ever (1,169) by a left-handed reliever. He should be all alone at the top soon enough.

1. Roger Moore - Aug 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM

It’s a lot simpler in Wagner’s case. Favre was a free agent, so his retirement threats have to be seen as part of a negotiating ploy. Wagner has guaranteed money next year, so his desire to retire looks genuine.

2. JimmyY - Aug 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Poor, poor Billy. Isn’t he the one who cried like a baby when he blew out the arm as a Met and did not want to retire that way? He came back and proved he could still play at a high level but didn’t Favre do the same thing? And, its not like the guaranteed money was chump change either.

3. CJ - Aug 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I don’t think Favre was a FA in any case? He forced a trade one year, forced his release the next, and forced a renegotiated contract this year.

4. Old Gator - Aug 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I suspect Wagner was just kidding around.

5. Mrsteve - Aug 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Farve is a hall of famer, Wagner is in the HOFof sucking c ock

6. Sam Lee - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM

That’s a lot of conjecture.

7. Ditto65 - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM

415 career saves – fifth all-time. Pretty sucky.

8. Old Gator - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Stay classy, Mr. Steve.

9. Md23Rewls - Aug 22, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I didn’t know they had a hall of fame for those kinds of things. You learn something new every day.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3500)