Aug 21, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
The Rays sent Jeremy Hellickson to Single-A Charlotte following last night’s loss to the Athletics, presumably as punishment for him finally giving up more than two runs.
(Sarcasm, I hope you know.)
Hellickson wasn’t quite as sharp, allowing three runs over 6 1/3 innings as part of a no-decision. The rookie right-hander actually left the game in position for the win, however the bullpen blew it in the bottom of the eighth. He scattered seven hits — including a solo homer by Jack Cust — while striking out seven and walking just one.
Hellickson tallied a very impressive 2.05 ERA and 0.76 WHIP over his first four major league starts, including a stingy 25/4 K/BB ratio in 26 1/3 innings. He has a strong case to stay in the rotation, but Rays manager Joe Maddon told Bill Chastain of MLB.com that the move was expected with Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann on schedule to be activated from the disabled list next week.
“This is something that we talked about in advance. He’s been very much
aware of it. Again, from the outside looking in it might seem awkward or
strange. But from the inside looking out it’s very common sensical. For
us, we had planned on doing it this way. There’s nothing he could have
done to change that. Outside of like somebody being hurt possibly. But
for now we’re getting the other two guys back.”
Hellickson will pitch out of the bullpen during his time with Single-A Charlotte in anticipation of rejoining the major league team on September 1.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 45
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (139)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)