Aug 21, 2010, 10:40 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:40 PM: From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes the bad news: Nolasco indeed has a torn meniscus and has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday start. Andrew Miller will fill in.
UPDATE, 5:48 PM: Sounds like we at least have confirmation of which knee is injured. According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Nolasco is walking around the clubhouse with a brace on his right knee. More to follow.
5:25 PM: Details are scarce at this time, but Joe Frisaro of MLB.com hears that Ricky Nolasco may have a torn meniscus in one of his knees. The Marlins are reportedly checking to see if that is the case.
Nolasco last pitched on Tuesday, tossing six shutout innings against the Pirates. He was scheduled to pitch again Sunday against the Astros. It’s safe to say that outing is now in doubt.
Just a short while ago, we learned that the Marlins recently began preliminary talks on a contract extension with Nolasco. The 27-year-old right-hander is 14-8 with a 4.22 ERA over 25 starts this season. He is making $3.8 million this season and remains under team control through 2012.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)