Aug 21, 2010, 10:40 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:40 PM: From the Marlins’ official Twitter feed comes the bad news: Nolasco indeed has a torn meniscus and has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday start. Andrew Miller will fill in.
UPDATE, 5:48 PM: Sounds like we at least have confirmation of which knee is injured. According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Nolasco is walking around the clubhouse with a brace on his right knee. More to follow.
5:25 PM: Details are scarce at this time, but Joe Frisaro of MLB.com hears that Ricky Nolasco may have a torn meniscus in one of his knees. The Marlins are reportedly checking to see if that is the case.
Nolasco last pitched on Tuesday, tossing six shutout innings against the Pirates. He was scheduled to pitch again Sunday against the Astros. It’s safe to say that outing is now in doubt.
Just a short while ago, we learned that the Marlins recently began preliminary talks on a contract extension with Nolasco. The 27-year-old right-hander is 14-8 with a 4.22 ERA over 25 starts this season. He is making $3.8 million this season and remains under team control through 2012.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)